bbc iplayer for radio doesn't work on linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Scott23, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Scott23

Scott23

I am a linux newbie so dont shoot me!! I try to start bbc radio up on my aspire and it loads the applet for the bbc iplayer for radio. However, it then doesn't actually start playing the radio and almost looks as if it has stopped working. Talksport, etc work fine as live radio players but the bbc one just refuses to work.

Anybody have any ideas?? It would really be appreciated as I want to listen to live footie while I work.

Cheers!

Scott23, Nov 9, 2008
  2. Scott23

daldred

It's working for me - just tried 5 live and it played for me (albeit seemed to take longer to buffer than usual).

Three thoughts: have you all the updates installed, are you in the UK, and have you done anything which would change the user agent string sent by Firefox (you should know if you have)?

daldred, Nov 9, 2008
  3. Scott23

Scott23

I have done the live update function a number of times since buying the acer. Stuck with Firefox 2 as it seems complicated to get 3 installed and running without throwing other programs out. It just won't work on my machine and is really annoying as one of the reasons I bought it was to get radio 5 while working, etc,.

Almost tempted to wipe it and install Windows on it now as it is really frustrating..... :evil:

Scott23, Nov 11, 2008
  4. Scott23

sideways

you have to install realplayer and disable the installed mplayer plugin for real media, see this thread

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1789

sideways, Nov 12, 2008
  5. Scott23

Rofa

Oh dear me - I should leave things alone. BBC worked fine on Firefox 2. Installed Firefox 3 today (kept Firefox 2) and now the Player does not work on either. I have of course disabled mplayer. Any ideas?????????

Rofa, Nov 28, 2008
  6. Scott23

Rofa

Just woken up - the transport preferences in Real have to be set to HTTP. Works fine then!

Rofa, Nov 28, 2008
Ask a Question