bbc iplayer

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Dorothea, May 2, 2009.

1. Dorothea

Dorothea

Hello
    I am new to this forum and new to Linux but have managed to install programs and am beginning to find my way around I am trying to install the downloader to view BBC iplayer programmes off line. I get so far and then the installation just stops. I think it is related to the required AdobeAIR prog. I have looked on some other sites for instructions to get round this - seems to be a known problem with AIR and Linux but suggested solutions aren't working for me. If anyone has got round this can you please give me some simple step by step instructions
    Thank you

Dorothea, May 2, 2009
  2. Dorothea

redkop

I got mine to install on my Acer 8gb using UNR 9.04 by unticking the desktop icon as part of the install, when I had it ticked it failed with an error, unticked it quite happily installed

redkop, May 2, 2009
  3. Dorothea

Dorothea

Hi
    Thanks for that but I have tried it and it does not work
    Anyone else?

Dorothea, May 2, 2009
  4. Dorothea

pingadam

Hi Dorothea,

Just to check first: are you currently running the Linpus Linux that came with the Acer Aspire One, or another version of Linux (for example, the latest version of Ubuntu)?

I have tried installing the BBC iPlayer Desktop on Linpus Linux, and like you can't yet get it to complete installation. According to the BBC website for iPlayer Desktop System Requirements (http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/download_programmes/desktop_requirements), iPlayer Desktop officially supports Ubuntu 8.10, Fedora Core 10 and OpenSUSE. I may try installing the latest version of UBUNTU soon (to be specific, Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope" Netbook Remix - often referred to as "UNR" - see: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook), once I have first backup-up my current Linpus Linux installation (doing a disk copy - see: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer-aspire-one-aa1backup.html), as Ubuntu seems to be much easier to install other applications / programs for, as it's much better supported by companies and software developers.

pingadam, May 3, 2009
  5. Dorothea

Dorothea

Hello
    I am using the Linpus OS that is preinstalled - not sure if I want the hassle of installing a new one - bought this to take on holiday to send a few emails and down load photos. Just thought I could also download some TV to watch on holiday but if it is going to be complicated....I thought as I have never used Linux before there might be something really obvious that I have missed. Anyway if you do solve the problem do let me know and I will consider having a play
    thanks
    Dorothea

Dorothea, May 5, 2009
  6. Dorothea

miketurley

I have the original Acer one with Linpus Lite. I've not changed a thing since I got it out of the box and I've got BBC IPayer downloaded, installed and working fine - I just followed the instructions on the BBC site for a Linux download for Fedora - which Linpus Lite uses. Hope this helps!

miketurley, May 11, 2009
  7. Dorothea

jane renwick

I have a Acer Aspire one (mini) Net Book A110-Ab, Model ZG5, 512MB, 8GB, DDR2 RAM. I am completely new to this netbook and also to LUNIX about which I know nothing, despite weeks of struggling! Hitherto, I was a WINDOWS user for many years

I am thinking it doesn't have too much memory? I went to the BBC website, which advised I needed MINT LINUX 6, OpenSUSE 10.3, Ubuntu 8.10. I was diverted to a page where I could download Mint Linux 6, but because it seemed to be taking AEONS, to download, I canceled!

Is it POSSIBLE to listen to the BBC via its iplayer, on this LITTLE netbook?

Any help gratefully received, as always!

jane renwick, May 23, 2009
Ask a Question