Before i go mad and install windows XP

Discussion in 'Linux' started by aquatarkus, Dec 24, 2008.

1. aquatarkus

gnash

I'd understand why people would want to return the Linpus version netbook for an XP version (familiarity). I myself have used Windows for a long time but I rather have an operating system which is far newer, less prone to viruses, adware and malware and opensource. As for working well most stuff I normally use work straight out of the box (wireless, usb drive, mouse etc) so I'm reluctant to switch distros. But then again I bought mine knowing exactly what I would use it for and exactly what programs I would use(typing reports, internet, learning more about Linux). I wouldn't recommend the Linpus version to anyone unless they are willing to learn a bit about Linux but I hope for those that have persevered with the somewhat steep learning curve with configuring stuff that they find it very rewarding indeed.

gnash, Dec 29, 2008
  2. aquatarkus

esaym

Reinstall? Unless you are just messing around there is no reason to reinstall any linux system. You should back everything up with rsync and then a restore will be easy.

Something like

rsync -av --stats --progress / /home/backup --exclude="/proc/" --exclude="/dev/" --exclude="/sys/" --exclude="/home/backup/"

that will copy everything from / to /home/backup. To restore just flip the source and destination. Rsync only copys files that have changed. Also you can try it with the --delete-before option but always do a dry run first (-n) to make sure you ain't going to delete stuff that you shouldn't
    http://www.manpagez.com/man/1/rsync/

rsnapshot is cool too. It is a perl script that uses rsync to create snapshots of any interval (hourly daily weekly monthly). When a new snapshot comes in, the old one is copied to a different directory with hard links so it doesn't take up any extra space.

all this can work over ssh too.

That has nothing to do with "*nix". If a company wants to make a product and not supply drivers for an operating system then who's at fault? I bought a networked samsung b&w laser printer for $120. Anything can print to it

esaym, Dec 30, 2008
  3. aquatarkus

nmesisca

it was an example... ?!? :roll:

nmesisca, Dec 30, 2008
  4. aquatarkus

gnash

That is so true, I am somewhat unimpressed with the way Vista handles printing services but that's because the manufacturers haven't fully supported Vista. I've tried using Cups before on Puppy Linux which is decent yet a bit cumbersome with its web interface. I haven't printed yet on the Aspire One as I just export all my work to pdf file(which is universally reckognised by any computer with a pdf reader installed on it which Word cannot do unless you shell out for the extras) and just print it on a Windows machine which happens to be directly connected to it.

gnash, Dec 30, 2008
Ask a Question