Before installing Windows 8 pro, minor tips,etc

Discussion in 'Windows' started by something back, Oct 28, 2012.

1. something back

something back

Before installing Windows 8 pro, minor tips,etc After downloading you will have on screen an icon saying downloaded windows. This is a good opportunity to have both a usb stick and a dvd blank ready. you can choose to write to both before installing. NOTE do not format your machine, as your licence is for an updated version and your code will not be accepted upon it requiring microsoft verification (your serial number) Choosing to upgrade your existing setup does not require microsoft verification after installing In order to have the cleanest install using the windows 8 pro download do a clean acer erecovery then update using either the dvd or usb you have written. After installing Windows 8 it retains an old version of your system. This takes up approx 19.5 gb of dead data space. Your antivirus, antispyware programs will check this dead data every time, wasting time. If you choose to remove this old version then here’s the method goto the righthand side of the screen and choose the search tool icon then type in CLEANMGR the process is simple to understand. Windows 8 does not come with a dvd player Here's a link to one http://www.snapfiles.com/get/videolan.html Others available just search the net.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    something back, Oct 28, 2012
  2. something back

thefunky1

Should I upgrade to windows 8?...it's seems complicated!

I've just bought an Acer Timeline M3- Ultra M3-581TG.

I have the option to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for £14.99- but I'm wondering how this will effect Acer eRecovery (I've already made the Acer eRecovery disks (and driver disks) in Windows 7).

I have a few questions:

1. I've heard that a 'clean install' of windows 8 works best- but as you lose all files and programs does this also mean that I'd lose eRecovery?

2. I've created a 'driver and program' disk in eRecovery- does this mean that if I complete a 'clean install' of Windows 8 I can just then go back and install the programmes I want off the disk?

3. My laptop has a small SSD drive (20gb) which I believe it uses as a 'cache' to speed up processing. If I upgrade to windows 8 via 'clean install' will the computer configure itself to carry on using the SSD in this way- or have I got to reconfigure it (=scary!)?

4. I've looked at the Windows 8 upgrade site- and it seems there is an option to download the upgrade onto dvd- is this the best option?

Any help would be much appreciated- I'm a total novice.

Many thanks

thefunky1, Nov 3, 2012
  3. something back

something back

If you have created a full dvd backup set using erecovery then all your system
    is on those recovery disks, including restoring the hidden harddrive partition.

UNSURE as to being able to retain the erecovery partition using windows 8 clean installation
    process.

Have a look at this site

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57541490-285/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-8/

When you first agree to update to windows 8 a small file call “Windows Upgrade Assistant” is
    the first program to be uploaded

“Windows Upgrade Assistant” first carries out a compatibility test.
    It will list any program it thinks there will be problems with.

“Windows Upgrade Assistant” is the program that sees you through the whole process,
    including writing a dvd, usb, and installing windows 8

A clean install is always the best option there's less problems doing a clean installation.

You can choose to make either dvd or usb or both.

Your ssd drive should work in the same way.

Most if not all of your driver files should be able to work from your created disk
    it's still worth a look on the acer site for window 8 updates.

something back, Nov 3, 2012
  4. something back

thefunky1

Thanks for the speedy response- much appreciated.

I'm a little confused as to what the four eRecovery dvds that I've just made actually do?

As a test- I've just inserted disk 1 into my drive, expecting some sort of 'Window recovery software' to auto start- but nothing happened. If I explore the dvd it just lists lots of different files- but no obvious program (.exe) file to click to start the recovery process. I even restarted the computer with the dvd in the drive, but still nothing happens.

Do the dvds actually have a copy of windows of them- or am I missing something?

Warm regards

thefunky1, Nov 3, 2012
  5. something back

something back

To enable dvd eRecovery, with the first disk in the drive,
    The F12 key needs to be pressed at power on

something back, Nov 3, 2012
Ask a Question