Best Distro

Discussion in 'Linux' started by djtilko, Mar 10, 2009.

1. djtilko

itres

itres, Mar 14, 2009
  2. djtilko

netsorcist

I just installed dreamlinux. A lot of things seems to work out of the box. I don't know if the sd-card readers work. Maybe I'll test it later.

netsorcist, Mar 16, 2009
  3. djtilko

madwoolything

Thanks ..... kept playing with the set up for 3g and have got it working. I'm impressed with the performance of Sidux on this AA1 .... much snappier in my opinion ..... thanks :D

Just one question, how do I set up a UK keyboard ?
    ...... had a quick look but could find any settings in xfce (I normally use gnome and sometimes xfce ..... hence chosing xfce over kde)

madwoolything, Mar 16, 2009
  4. djtilko

djtilko

Thats an easy one!! In kde click on menu then on control centre then keyboard layout :D

djtilko, Mar 17, 2009
  5. djtilko

Rotaj

Rotaj, Mar 17, 2009
  6. djtilko

djtilko

Rotaj

Ive havent tried to install kio-apt as I just use apt-get from the command line, which is the recommended way for sidux and its easy peesy!!

djtilko, Mar 18, 2009
  7. djtilko

sertse

Just dropping by to say I'm another satisfied sidux user

I like how it's light (esp the xfce version), and because it really is bleeding edge with the latest linux tech, you don't have to worry about hardware problems. The fact it's debian based, means if you were coming from ubuntu you're mostly familiar with how it works already and there isn't that much of a learning curve.

Personally I don't see why people spend so much effort to "have" to get Ubuntu, sidux is a lot less hassle. Well, I do see why, sidux based on sid means there always some chance the whole thing breaks, each time you update but from personal experience, it's nothing to really worry about,

sertse, Mar 18, 2009
  8. djtilko

madwoolything

Keyboard setting for UK keyboard in Sidux

....... oh dear ...... should have installed KDE as you recommended

madwoolything, Mar 18, 2009
  9. djtilko

madwoolything

Can I ask how you managed to set up your keyboard in XFCE on the AA1 please?

10. djtilko

djtilko

Sorry if your using xfce then I think from what I remember when I was using it I had to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file! which is a bit of a rigmarole :( obviously its much easier to do in either kde or gnome.

From what I can remember open with a text editor of your choice eg #mousepad /etc/X11/xorg.conf

look for input device and change the key board values to the ones you require for uk as an example
    Option "keyboard layout" "gb" keeping the quote marks

There will be a line in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that looks something like that cant exactly remember but should be close

djtilko, Mar 18, 2009
  11. djtilko

Rotaj

kio-apt is a program for searching for available apps in Konquerer. For some reason it has been removed from the Debian Sid repositories.

Rotaj, Mar 18, 2009
  12. djtilko

djtilko

I really like the smxi script when using it makes dist-upgrades very easy and installing software like VirtualBox simple as it compiles the kernel modules for you.

The installer is something to behold and makes you wonder why other distros cant do something as good or as quick its lightning fast 10 to 15minutes to install a full system is awesome.

The whole sidux system seems to run much faster than any other Ive tried too and I am using kde 3.5!

djtilko, Mar 18, 2009
  13. djtilko

Jaycb

djtilko,
    Thanks for your earlier detailed instructions. I'm happy to burn a disk and from there burn to USB but I've just found i've no disks left... Doh! Is these a way of going straight from iso download to USB please? If not I'll pop in Tescos later...

Jaycb, Mar 18, 2009
  14. djtilko

krisaxe

wow i'm trying sidux myself and i really like it, just using the live usb but everything seems to be working and it's really fast compared to the system i have installed (linux4one).. it's a little bit less user friendly but if i manage to use it means it cant be that difficult :mrgreen:

Only one thing doesn't seem to work so far: i can't turn up or down the volume with the fn buttons, i can only use the level on the dsktop, anyone knows how to fix that?

thanks very much,

kris

krisaxe, Mar 18, 2009
  15. djtilko

Ceno

Dear god. This thing runs fast. I was running ubuntu 8.10, there is no comparison whatsoever. Although I am running it live and it's all in ram, but still, it matches the initial description.

So far I've seen that only the left sd card is hotpluggable, the right isn't but maybe if plugged before boot it'll work, and also noticed that controlling volume in the keyboard doesn't work.

Is there any other thing not working?

Ceno, Mar 18, 2009
  16. djtilko

HappyHarry

on my aao with F10 xfce in the main menu click "Preferences" then click "Keyboard" and in the window that opens on the third tab titled "Layout" you can change it there :)

phil

HappyHarry, Mar 18, 2009
  17. djtilko

madwoolything

Thanks ..... did the trick :D
    Excellent distro!!

18. djtilko

madwoolything

For those using Sidux, I found this post which suggests how to improve system preformance even further.
    http://sidux.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3484&highlight=boot+speed

I've followed a couple of the steps, particularly the boot up time issue. With the initial Sidux installation, it was taking approx 60 sec to the log in screen, now down to 39 sec (with a further 10 sec to be fully up and running). I'm sure there is much more that can be done to improve boot up speeds (Linpus approx 20sec??) but this is great for me as it was taking 150 sec to have a working system with ubuntu variant. I'll probably make more use of suspend.

The most impressive feature is the responsiveness ...... my AA1 is now fast and easy to use (after some intial set up gremlins). Definately worth the effort. :D

madwoolything, Mar 19, 2009
  19. djtilko

csmo

Thanks for the heads up to the OP. What a great distro this Sidux is for the AAO! Totally agree with all the sentiments about speed and responsiveness. Now it feels like my 512 megs of RAM are more than enough to run an operating system. Wow! Sidux is indeed very fast for this little AAO.

Sidux even feels faster than Linpus and Crunchbang#!. This distro should be more well-known to AAO users, particularly those who only have so much RAM to play around with.

After fixing the few steps mentioned by the OP to get the right screen resolution, dpi settings and wifi working, Sidux is in full use. Fantastic little gem this distro! :)

csmo, Mar 19, 2009
  20. djtilko

marka

OK, so what am I doing wrong?

I boot a live sidux cd on an old laptop, and it appears to run fine. I then try to install it to a 2GB USB drive, and everything appears to go ok. Then when I try to boot off it on the AAO it always goes straight to a GRUB Bash shell. No sign of an operating system. I've tried just about everything I can think off. But, I bet it's something completely obvious.

Be gentle.

thanks

Mark.

marka, Mar 19, 2009
Ask a Question