Best Distro

Discussion in 'Linux' started by djtilko, Mar 10, 2009.

1. djtilko

csmo

Marka, I think you need a bigger stick than that (2 Gb). Something like 4 Gb if not 8 sounds more reasonable.

csmo, Mar 19, 2009
  2. djtilko

Jaycb

Right, have tried it out as a live USB and like others am impressed with the speed. Sorry if this is a dumb question but can I install new apps, save docs and remember settings etc. to the USB? If so, can anyone talk me through in very easy steps how to install Firefox and Abiword please? I'm finding the default browser annoyingly security-conscious and some websites won't display properly.

Jaycb, Mar 19, 2009
  3. djtilko

hayagix

I have the same problem as Marka.

Tried to install from both kde-lite and xfce live cds.
    Tried to install to 2 and 4 gig flash sticks.
    Tried on two different desktops.
    No go.

Goes through the install procedure and the final outcome is "failure to clone". I end up with files on the flash sticks and the iso is twice the size it should be. I suspect the installer is using the flash drive for temp and failing to finish the clone and deletion of the temp file.

hayagix, Mar 19, 2009
  4. djtilko

doo_wop

could someone please explain to me (linux noobie) step by step what to do to get sidux on usb (i can't use cdrom) ? this official manual is just too complicated to me...

doo_wop, Mar 19, 2009
  5. djtilko

sertse

I'm typing from my sidux AAO right now,

The battery lasted a bit over 2hrs (2hr 10-15min?) before it shutdown. Any one know of tweaks to increase battery life?

I agree with comments about boot time and responsiveness. My one was an AA0 150 (160 GB, 1G ram), and bootup was fairly fast, didn't time it exactly, but I'm not "feeling" I have to wait lots or anything.

sertse, Mar 20, 2009
  6. djtilko

itres

doo_wop, which OS are you using.
    The instructions are valid only if you already run Linux.

Grtz

itres, Mar 20, 2009
  7. djtilko

doo_wop

i'm using linpus but want to try sth new; ok i know how to get iso on the usb but i don't get the grub part...

doo_wop, Mar 20, 2009
  8. djtilko

itres

All the command need to be executed as root.

1. You need to put the iso on you hard disk for example, make a directory name sidux in the / partition:

mkdir /sidux

2. Copy the iso into that directory.

mount the iso to extract vmlinuz and initrd.img files

3. Mount the iso to get vmlinuz and initrd.img

mount -t iso9660 -o loop,ro /sidux/sidux.iso /mnt
    cp /mnt/boot/vmlinuz* /sidux/vmlinuz
    cp /mnt/boot/initrd.img* /sidux/initrd.img

4. Update the grub config, add a new entry /boot/grub/menu.lst:

I don't know how does /boot/grub/menu.lst on Linpus you might need to set the timeout to 5 (for example) if it is set to 0 otherwise you can't make a choice in grub.

(hd0,1) is just an example it might be different for you, use the same as the Linpus entry.

### ISO boot
    title sidux 32bit from ISO
    kernel (hd0,1)/sidux/vmlinuz boot=fll quiet vga=791 fromiso=/sidux/sidux.iso
    initrd (hd0,1)/sidux/initrd.img

When you reboot don't choose 'Linpus' in grub but 'sidux'.

By using this solution you can't wipe out Linpus because the iso is on the partition where Linpus is but when sidux is installed you can remove Linpus by just changing the grub install and removing the Linpus partition.
    For me it was not a problem because I always have 2 distros installed at any time.

Grtz

itres, Mar 20, 2009
  9. djtilko

doo_wop

thanks for this but it's not what i'm looking for, i want to boot from usb not linpus harddrive

doo_wop, Mar 20, 2009
  10. djtilko

itres

itres, Mar 20, 2009
  11. djtilko

csmo

I installed Sidux kde-light and if 'acerhdf' came pre-installed it sure fooled my AAO. :) Noisy, ongoing fan all the time. Is 'acerhdf' only supporting newer BIOS versions? I'm using v. 3305 since I couldn't find any working acerfand scripts for BIOS 3309.

I really like Sidux and would like to try it out much more, but I can't have any OS installed when I cannot fix the bloody noisy fan. Of course, if only Acer would have done something about this long time ago, none of us would have this problem. Sorry, I got a little carried away there. :lol:

Thanks for any help.

csmo, Mar 22, 2009
  12. djtilko

sertse

Sidux doesn't have acerhdf...not for a while anyways

I asked in their chat earlier, reply for one of their devs

<slh> Sertse: no, and it won't be, until it has been merged in 2.6.30-git, as there are still some issues regarding its safety (bad defaults, maybe leading to overheating CPUs) - furthermore the CPU fan of the aao isn't exactly too noisy.

------

Sidux usually tries to be as close to Debian Sid as much as possible, Sidux mainly to stablise any major stability issues to an acceptable level. (Remembering it's Sid, so it never really be stable, but that's something we axcept for the most updated stuff ;) )

sertse, Mar 22, 2009
  13. djtilko

csmo

Thanks for the clarification, sertse. Much appreciated.

I find this statement from the Sidux developer rather strange though:
    There actually ARE some fans out there, (including mine, of course) which is unbearable to listen to for a longer period of time. So having a fan control module or script implemented or available is kinda important to some of us.

Anyway, I guess it'll be a while before the module will be accessible/usable for Sidux then? What to do in the meantime, will acerfand work? Thank you.

csmo, Mar 22, 2009
  14. djtilko

djtilko

This will sort your fan problems out

This one runs as kernel module and it doesn't have any of the potential race conditions other fan control programs have. Works GREAT for me.

You can get it here. http://www.piie.net/index.php?section=acerhdf

I grabbed the latest version. 0.2.2-2. You can do the following to install it.

wget http://www.piie.net/files/acerhdf_kmod-0.2.2-2.tar.gz

OPEN A ROOT TERMINAL SESSION IN KDE AND DO THE FOLLOWING
    tar zxvf acerhdf_kmod-0.2.2-2.tar.gz
    cd acerhdf_kmod
    make
    make install
    modprobe acerhdf

You should also add "acerhdf" (without the quotes) to /etc/modules

#mousepad /etc/modules
    type acerhdf
    save and quit

From the root terminal session

type shutdown -r now

All is peace and tranquility!! this works with no problems at all for me for at least two weeks now!! just remember to redo the make and make install if your kernel gets upgraded every time. only takes a minute or so.

djtilko, Mar 22, 2009
  15. djtilko

csmo

Thank you so much for taking your time, djtilko.

Btw, do you or someone else know which BIOS versions the acerhdf module supports? I'm thinking of upgrading my BIOS version to the newest available if it'll work with the acerhdf fan control module.

csmo, Mar 22, 2009
  16. djtilko

djtilko

Why do you need to upgrade your bios version if its running well I would leave alone, as some people including myself have upgraded to later versions with ill effects sometimes getting the racing fan thing where fan starts then stops then starts constantly I went back to an older version after trying the latest bios upgrades, but if something is not working correctly and you want to try the latest read this web site first http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer ... v3304.html although there is probably a newer version than that now so just do a search for the latest one

Well sidux is still running great on my little aa1, I must have already compiled in the module acerhdf on my first post in this thread so sorry for that.

The sidux os is still head and shoulders better and faster than any other system I have tried, Crunchbang, Ubuntu, Fedora 10, Mandriva, Kuki, are all like running treacle compared to sidux :D the only system that is probably faster is Linpus itself! but then if Linpus was running all the same programs that are included with sidux I dont think there would be much difference in speed at all and we are only talking a few more seconds boot time, once sidux is up and running it just flys along|! and who wants to run an out of date system like Linpus! its not even fully supported as it runs on fed 8 so updates for it are gonna be hard work.

About the only thing that dont work is the fn volume keys which when I get chance to look into is probably easily sorted too.

And as it only takes 15 minutes to install compared to over an hour on Ubuntu and others even if for some strange reason you dont like it you can remove it and bung some other system on there :D

djtilko, Mar 22, 2009
  17. djtilko

csmo

True, I had also problems with BIOS 3309 and the acerfand script and went back to 3305 like many others for those exact reasons you described. Was just wondering whether the new fan control module perhaps would work with 3309. But yeah, you make a good point there, why fix something that ain't broke. ;)

Djtilko, It has been a joy reading your enthusiastic posts and comments regarding Sidux. They have made me open my eyes to a new world of Linux. Thank you for that. :)

csmo, Mar 22, 2009
  18. djtilko

HappyHarry

well after all the praise in this thread i decided to give sidux a try, i used to use debian as my desktop distro so everything was familiar to me, but i must admit to a real dissapointment in sidux, it is no faster to boot or to use than F10 with xfce on my A150, in fact according to bootchart it's 6 seconds slower to boot after the same tweaking, plus not everything functions like it does in F10, luckily i ghosted my xfce partition so it's not much work to put it back. i guess it must be that those who find it faster are using ssd aao's?

phil

HappyHarry, Mar 22, 2009
  19. djtilko

djtilko

You are welcome csmo ;)

I may seem to be a little over the top but when youve been trying nearly every distro that linux has (and that is a lot) over the last few months, then come across something as good as sidux, I just felt that I should spread the word as it were :lol:

I am so happy and impressed with sidux that it now is installed on every pc in my house as the primary o.s Microsoft XP sits on a VirtualBox setup within sidux for when I need to use non supported linux hardware like the Lexmark wireless printer that I have.

djtilko, Mar 22, 2009
  20. djtilko

djtilko

Happy Harry

I cant speak about the A150 these are my findings using the ssd Aspire one with 512 meg, and it flys. I did try Fedora 10 which was on this machine the worst of the lot! for both boot time and loading applications as for installing software give me apt-get over rpms every time, but perhaps the 150 is different I really dont know.

Also once again XFCE is not as quick as people seem to think it carries plenty of bloat nowadays. KDE 3.5 is actually faster on the AA1 tried XFCE and was disapointed with both speed and lack of features.

djtilko, Mar 22, 2009
Ask a Question