best Distro

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by lunatichiatus, Oct 19, 2008.

1. lunatichiatus

lunatichiatus

if I run linpus from usb onto the aspire one, would it recognize my wireless card? Not linpus light

lunatichiatus, Oct 19, 2008
  2. lunatichiatus

Darkchef

its unlikely as this version of linpus light shipped with the acer one is preconfigured.

Darkchef, Oct 19, 2008
  3. lunatichiatus

scottro

The wireless card is an Atheros 5007EG. 2.6.26 kernels don't recognize it although it's relatively trivial, most of the time, anyway, to get it working with the MadWifi snapshots by FreeBSD's Sam Leffler.

The 2.6.27 kernels which are shipping with more distributions now--although the only ones that I'm certain about are Fedora 10 and Ubuntu's latest Intrepid--will support the wireless card.

scottro, Oct 19, 2008
  4. lunatichiatus

donec

As I understand it Onelinux has an altered Kernel and this is the reason why it works so well with the wireless card in the AA1. To me this says to me that until Linux kernels are aligned to include the wireless card in the AA1 there will be problems with it. You should know that most distros have problems with wireless connections in some manner, but it is getting better. BTW I have read Windows is also having problems with wireless on some computers and the security wireless uses.

donec, Oct 19, 2008
Ask a Question