Best reason not to buy a Microsoft Netbook

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by pling, May 2, 2009.

1. pling

jackluo923

Why don't you go on notebookreview.com 's buy and sale subforum. There's a thread called "payitforward" thread. A user named Golphn has given away like 5 unused Vista license, 3 XP licenses. I got 1 free Xp license from him already. :mrgreen:

jackluo923, May 8, 2009
  2. pling

pling

But in a grumpy way. Ok.

Yes, well - good luck running that on a Netbook. It looks like it isn't going to be any better than Vista resource/speed wise. Microsoft have done tech superbly - eg .NET - but making OS's lightweight has not been a priority for them.

pling, May 8, 2009
  3. pling

jackluo923

I'm running windows 7 ultimate right now. It's a bit faster than XP and it boots just as fast as optimized windows XP (less than 20 seconds). Everything is just more responsive than XP.
    The only thing I want is touchpad 2 finger gestures back on windows 7.

jackluo923, May 9, 2009
  4. pling

garrovick

garrovick, May 12, 2009
  5. pling

pling

Yes, but that misses both the point and the problem.

At the moment MS are selling XP for Netbooks at a much lower price than their business model is based on, as an emergency measure they came up with when it looked Linux would take the sector. They don't seem willing to this longterm. So the planned W7 choice seems to be something like crippleware at round about the current price, or the full thing at $50-$70 cost to the manufacturer. Apply markup to that and you could see $100-$150 going on the cost of a non-crippled Windows Netbook. With decent Netbooks with 12 hour battery life and built-in 3G likely to cost around $250 soon, that does seem a bit hard to digest. A 60% price hike to run more than 3 apps? Puh-lease!

And why is an OS that is deliberately limited to running only three GUI apps only "so-called crippled"? If installed a virus on your machine that limited it in this way, wouldn't you consider that I'd crippled the poor thing?

pling, May 14, 2009
  6. pling

scwinn

Simple workaround. Install Virtual PC. Run Windows 7, and when you need extra apps, run Windows XP via Virtual PC. Or just go LINUX.

scwinn, May 14, 2009
  7. pling

garrovick

Most of what you posted is true....

If a user is forced to use Linux. Which today comprises a slightly more than one percent user base for all computer users.

Be sure to post a link to that computer you described when it becomes available.

PS: I have Ubuntu 9.04 on my desktop, no MS OS

garrovick, May 14, 2009
  8. pling

Einsamkeit

Find a Linux distribution to your taste. ;) You won't regret it!
    Personally I've dumped XP on my AAO and installed Ubuntu 9.04, bloody love it and considering doing the same on my XP desktop. Fairly easy to use, safe, efficient and you're out of Microsoft's shady schemes.

Einsamkeit, May 17, 2009
  9. pling

jackluo923

I suggest
    http://www.linux-xp.com/

Probably the best linux alternative to windows.

Anyways.. if you send me a slice of your birthday cake from all 42 years I missed, i'll send you 42 copies of Vista ultimate or Windows 7 ultimate.
    :lol:

jackluo923, May 17, 2009
  10. pling

Einsamkeit

Out of sheer curiosity, have you tested Linux XP??
    (Just to have an idea of ressource usage, usability, etc.)

Einsamkeit, May 17, 2009
Ask a Question