Better graphics driver

Discussion in 'Linux' started by annafil, Aug 14, 2008.

1. annafil

nomad85

I added the development repo, but I dont see 2.4.1, what do I need to search for? When you smart folks figure something out you need to explain it in detail for idjits like me:)

nomad85, Aug 20, 2008
  2. annafil

nomad85

do you have to remove the old driver. i founf 2.4.0-1 is that the right one?

nomad85, Aug 20, 2008
  3. annafil

enildeR

The dev repo has 2.4.0-1, which is what I installed. However, I also wanted to upgrade to 1.4.99 for xorg, and I am currently trying to get X working again. It doesn't see the panel for some reason.

Oh, and when you use the new 2.4.0 driver, you have to change the xorg.conf. By default, it uses the "intel" driver, but when you upgrade to 2.4, it will only work by changing "intel" to "i810"

It shouldn't let you install xorg 1.4.99/i810 2.4.0, and there will be a number of dependency errors that pop up.

If anyone wants to go this route, you'll have to install yum-utils and yum-skip-broken. You can then run yum --skip-broken blah bleh. I recommend not doing this unless you're a brave soul and can get around in console without X.

If you already enabled the dev repo, it'll complain about dependencies and not even install these two packages, so you'll have to run yum --disablerepo=developer install yum-utils yum-skip-broken

Remember, it'll break. Get a helmet.

enildeR, Aug 20, 2008
  4. annafil

nomad85

holy crap... how did phil1 get 2.4.0-1 going.. he just said he searched and updated it, no mention of all those steps... is there an easy way, or is it not worth trying...

nomad85, Aug 20, 2008
  5. annafil

quindo

Well this driver f*cked up my system.
    Now when I try to play anything using mplayer the whole system hangs!

Anyone know where I can download the original acer driver rpm?

quindo, Aug 20, 2008
  6. annafil

annafil

quindo = i'm surprised the driver broke something, so far you're the only one... you need to recompile the original acer rpm before you can install it - its only available as source right now. You can try to install the .7 version from the fedora repository.

But I think it goes without saying : everyone - please backup your little machines before playing with any hacks and mods on this forum!

annafil, Aug 20, 2008
  7. annafil

quindo

Forgot about the source distribution.
    I'll see if I can compile one (debian user, little experience with rpm :) )

It could be that some other package I updated/installed is interfering with this driver.

quindo, Aug 20, 2008
  8. annafil

annafil

annafil, Aug 20, 2008
  9. annafil

apaige

You still need to specify Driver "intel" instead of Driver "i810" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I'm using the "intel" driver version 2.3.2 (Arch Linux, not Ubuntu), and my screen doesn't show any banding.

apaige, Aug 20, 2008
  10. annafil

enildeR

Okay.. I've managed to get X working again, but with issues. I had to redo the xhkeys config (hot keys for sound/brightness etc). That and because of the new hal/X11 integration, the touch pad does not do tap clicking. I am sure you would need configuration setup again. Any the keyboard is detected by hal and overrules what you have in xorg.conf for keyboard layout, resulting in having to run setxkbmap in a shell (I use dvorak).

For anyone reading this post, most of the stuff is because of the FC10/9 packages from the development repo, and I was also trying to use the koji 2.6.26 kernel rpm. All this upgrading left me with no sound control, because everything in FC10 is using Pulseaudio. I might be able to fix that, but I can manually run the pavucontrol or whatever to adjust sound in I need, but the hotkeys work enough for me that I don't need a small app in the "taskbar." bmp2 doesn't like the new setup apperently, as it now crashes when adding a song to play. even padsp doesn't work. (Might be something else, but I am unsure. I haven't spent the time to debug it.) I had to upgrade to upstart, are there are a number of errors on bootup, but everything seems to be functioning just fine. Both SD slots work and auto mount. The only thing I noted as not working was the auto mount of my external 1.8" drive from Apricorn.

Also, 2.4.0-* does not work because of a bug that does not let the "intel" driver load. There was an unresolved symbol in the library. The -2 still has the problem, but I couldn't find the -2, so I assum only the bug testers/developers were using it. The i810 driver either doesn't detect the graphics chip as a supported one, or it doesn't see the LVDS panel.

The EEE forums indicate using the IEGD stuff, but I didn't bother with that crap once I actually downgraded to 2.2.1.

Playing some videos seems a bit smoother, but I didn't take the time to see what the cpu usage was before I was upgraded. Still cannot play 720p. It seems to be graphic related rather than a limitation of the CPU, or it could be the bus. But the videos of an atom playing HD videos on youtube indicate it may not even be possible. *shrug*

I'm just providing this for anyone thinking of using FC10 stuff. It's a big hassle and a pain. It requires editing a lot of conf files to get working, as well as manually installing rpms that won't install via yum because of various reasons (upstart wouldn't install because it no longer had /bin/pidof that linpus-lsb needed). I was even thinking of restoring until I got X working with the 2.2.1 driver and then managed to get sound working again.

enildeR, Aug 21, 2008
  11. annafil

number78

Did you guys try this:
    (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_GMA_950)

This increased my glxgears fps from 450ish to over 900. Not sure if it actually makes vids faster, will test this weekend!

number78, Aug 22, 2008
  12. annafil

annafil

That would be the effect of the last line the "Batch" one...

Migrationheuristic - greedy is needed for when you are using EXA instead of XAA to make it behave faster. But if you're on the 2.1.1 driver, odds are you're using XAA because EXA was still pretty bad back then

annafil, Aug 22, 2008
  13. annafil

BlackLagoon

Sounds like FUN :?. I think I'll just manage without full colors for now. Hopefully Acer will address the issue with a update, or even better, roll out a new version of Linpus Lite based on the latest Fedora.

BlackLagoon, Aug 22, 2008
  14. annafil

annafil

blacklagoon - you don't have to upgrade to fedora 10 to get the latest driver, you can compile your own driver fairly easily. Maybe I should put up instructions...?

annafil, Aug 22, 2008
  15. annafil

Foranamo

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/dith ... l-and.html

Foranamo, Aug 22, 2008
  16. annafil

BlackLagoon

Latest and latest... The "latest" driver, or any official driver beyond the one we've got really, seems to require a fullblown xorg server update to 1.4+, which is plunge straight down into dependency hell, no? :p

I was planning on getting to the dithering tweak, though that only helps to cover up the color issue (and is really just the same driver with a small bugfix :p). But reading the macles blog entry more thoroughly, he seems to think its a hardware limitation of the screen itself, so I guess its as good as it's gonna get...?

17. annafil

annafil

BlackLagoon : removing the dithering issue provides a very noticeable difference. I'm not sure where the information macles has is from, but it seems like a heck of a lot more colours to me. My friend's Macbook screen isn't even as pretty ;)

The instructions macles posted up are the ones I used to create the second (and now only) rpm that is linked in my first post. So if you trust my compiling, go for it ;)

That rpm is probably the easiest fix you're gonna get ... and should cause no issues - I've been using it fine on multiple reinstallations.

edit: and you're right, the very "latest" driver requires major xorg changes, but I managed to compile up to 2.2.1 with few problems (got a 2x boost on my glxgears fps from 400 plus to almost 900) . This is the latest version of the driver that Ubuntu has because it doesn't require a xserver upgrade (thus my consistent and not very accurate references to thatas the latest ;))

annafil, Aug 22, 2008
  18. annafil

BlackLagoon

Oh? Is this cumulative with the INTEL_BATCH=1 tweak? If so, that would mean a pretty significant increase range of games the One can handle.

Ah, okay, that makes it a bit clearer.

19. annafil

annafil

Yep, with the batch tweak. That said, I haven't seen the tweak do very much for me on either the 2.1.1 or the 2.2.1 driver. It does next to nothing for the 2.1.1 (unless I'm misisng another xorg setting), and I can get great fps without it by using exa and the heuristic greedy thingy on 2.2.1 :)

As usual, mileage may vary!

Actually scratch that - just double checked with the 2.1.1 driver - big difference in fps. Sweet!

annafil, Aug 22, 2008
  20. annafil

BlackLagoon

Oh, too bad, I was kinda hoping we'd get an even bigger increase from both the new driver and the batch tweak together, but I guess we should be happy with what we got.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a feature that wasn't considered quite ready for prime time in the 2.1.1 driver due to the Compiz issues, but then was presumably fixed and enabled by default in the newer versions.

Ask a Question