Bible software on my AA1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by inkbm, Aug 6, 2008.

1. inkbm

inkbm

Hi

Can anyone help a Linux newbie get some bible software installed on their AA1?

I've tried both GNOMESWORD and BibleTime, through the package manager, both seem to install, but they don't start up ?? ?

I see that some of the GNOME desktop environment is installed, but xfce is the one selected, do I need to switch desktop environment? From reading here, it sounds like that's not recommended. Is there an alternative that works on xfce?

Any help and explanation appreciated - I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty in a terminal environment, 10 years ago I used SunOS and HP-UX.

inkbm, Aug 6, 2008
  2. inkbm

jlozinski

the problem seems to be related to a dependency on gtkmozembed. unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to resolve this. I thought gnomesword used to depend on gtkhtml, but obviously it's using a mozilla back-end now..

jlozinski, Aug 15, 2008
  3. inkbm

jlozinski

hi. after looking into solving the dependancy, i have worked it..

you need to install firefox from the pbone search documented in the acer manual.. this will add gtkmozembed.so which gnomesword wants.. i found i needed to install the following:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ ... 6.rpm.html

in needed to install firefox using rpm -i --force

it still doesn't claim to be ffx 2.0.16, however, gnomesword works..

** edit **
    also note you should yum install gtkhtml3 if you want to edit notes/comments
    ** edit **

hope this helps.

( why people think rpm is as easy as deb is a complete mystery to me..)

jlozinski, Aug 17, 2008
  4. inkbm

DaiLaughing

Edit: I was wrong - doing the above killed network centre so I started again. I have also now discovered the real problem which is that libgtkembedmoz.so is in the wrong place. Copy it to a new directory called /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox from where it is now (/usr/lib/firefox). Much easier.

Original post:

Well that didn't work for me immediately but has now, thanks. Starting it from the menu failed as before but starting it from the terminal first time worked and now everything seems fine.

I had hoped to compare it to bibletime but Bibletime also fails. Is it worth a look? Launching it from a terminal suggests it is expecting kde to be running:

[user@localhost ~]$ bibletime
    (BibleTime 1.6.5.1) WARNING: QObject::connect: No such slot KHelpMenu::reportBug()
    (BibleTime 1.6.5.1) WARNING: QObject::connect: (sender name: 'help_report_bug')
    (BibleTime 1.6.5.1) WARNING: QObject::connect: (receiver name: 'unnamed')
    (BibleTime 1.6.5.1) WARNING: QObject::connect: No such slot KHelpMenu::aboutKDE()
    (BibleTime 1.6.5.1) WARNING: QObject::connect: (sender name: 'help_about_kde')
    (BibleTime 1.6.5.1) WARNING: QObject::connect: (receiver name: 'unnamed')
    *** BibleTime got signal 11 (Crashing). Trying to save settings.
    KCrash: Application 'bibletime' crashing...
    KCrash cannot reach kdeinit, launching directly.

DaiLaughing, Aug 24, 2008
  5. inkbm

mdonovan

Can you be clearing on the directory names? I have created the directory you mentioned /usr/lib/monzilla-firefox and copied the file there, but the program still says it is missing the file libgtkembedmoz.so

Any further clues, as I would like to get the program working on my Aspire One Linux system.

Thanks

mdonovan

mdonovan, Aug 25, 2008
  6. inkbm

DaiLaughing

Check the spelling. If that is right (it isn't above) check permissions (does user have read/execute) but otherwise I'm in the dark as I'm still struggling with this system myself.

Edit: interestingly it has stopped working for me now as well. Maybe because I installed FF3. Anyway the error was another file so I just copied all the (.so) files from /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14 to /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox. That may not have been necessary but I'm tired and fed up with trying to get this excellent laptop to work to it's potential despite it's crippleware OS. Hope that helps.

DaiLaughing, Aug 25, 2008
  7. inkbm

DaiLaughing

OK, I'm hoping that this will be a two stage post. Stage 1 is that I now realise what the problem is. It is the lack of those .so files in /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14 but what was confusing me was the location they need to be in. I was launching GnomeSword from the terminal so I could see any error messages. Unfortunately that seems to mean that the program looks in the current directory for lib files and therefore (as I had just used terminal to copy them) finds them. As soon as I changed directory or tried to launch from the menu it failed to find the lib files. So as a temporary fix open terminal and type in:

cd /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14
    gnomesword2

That should start it properly.

Stage 2 will be to find out where those files need to be for GnomeSword to find them properly. Any suggestions?

DaiLaughing, Aug 26, 2008
  8. inkbm

mdonovan

Excellent!

I have to preach this weekend and I am on the road with only my Asprire One. Now I can do my studying and preparation, at least. I will keep an eye on this thread to see if someone figures out the final "approved method" for getting gnomesword2 running.

Thanks again for this fix!

Mike Donovan

mdonovan, Aug 26, 2008
  9. inkbm

sproot

$LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to /usr/acer/lib on mine, try putting them there.

sproot, Aug 27, 2008
  10. inkbm

DaiLaughing

No change but thanks anyway sproot.

Is that libpath used by all programs or could sword have it's own setting? sword.conf has nothing relevant in it.

DaiLaughing, Aug 30, 2008
  11. inkbm

inkbm

Hi

I <think> I'd really appreciate someone summarising this thread for me as to the shortest route to get this working, with only the necessary steps included. To someone who's struggling to remember unix, and understand the way it's implemented on this neat little machine I don't want to risk breaking other things that are working just to get bible software up and running. Besides which it's my daughters machine and not mine :)

inkbm, Sep 8, 2008
Ask a Question