Bible software

Discussion in 'Linux' started by inkbm, Aug 7, 2008.

1. inkbm

inkbm

Hi

Posted up a level also, but I'm wondering if anyone has got bible software up and running on their AA1? Might be more visible here.

TIA

inkbm, Aug 7, 2008
  2. inkbm

mazade

Well since I deleted Linpus and put on XP I can't say that I have any experience with installing anything on it... but after some reading and learning that Linpus is based around "fedora", I do have a link for you that may prove useful.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/f ... 9.i386.rpm

It'd probably be smart of me to try this out... maybe I'll go get a Linpus Lite Live CD and see what happens when I try to install this...
    Oh, and then there's the "modules" or texts, lexicons, devotionals, commentaries, etc..

http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/

if I make any progress on getting The Bible installed on Linpus Lite I'll post updates.

mazade, Aug 8, 2008
  3. inkbm

Wolydarg

I have e-sword running almost flawlessly on my aspire one, still running Linpus lite.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=404042

Problems include:
    After using ctrl-s and highlighting words, you cannot manually copy and paste highlighted words in verses (minor, you can click the copy button, just no ctrl-c ctrl-v action)
    Don't think there's a way to get the button to appear on the linpus desktop. I can get the icon there, but no matter what I do to the esword.desktop in /usr/share/applications I can't get esword to launch. alt-f2 and typing in the first two letters of the command gets me the result, though. But I would be very grateful is someone could post a working desktop configuration file so that I can actually use the icon.
    When viewing everything (bible/dictionary/notes), the right centimeter or so of notes is cut off the screen
    Commentaries and Bibles install/work fine. I cannot get any graphics to display, however. If anyone can get maps and such working, it would be greatly appreciated.

The first post in the thread will guide you through everything you need to do to get it running. Good luck!

Wolydarg, Aug 23, 2008
  4. inkbm

inkbm

thanks for help, I've used e-sword on Windoze before, so when I get some time, I'll give it a try - holidays got in the way :D

inkbm, Sep 8, 2008
  5. inkbm

JoaoMachado

JSWORD is Java based, will run on Linux, Windows and OS X, works good on my Linpus Lite 8G SSD.

http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/

Download it, extract it and copy it to your /opt directory.

Right click on the jsword folder and click on Properties, at the bottom if a button shows up that says "repair permisions", click it, if not, don't worry about it.

Go to your desktop and right click and Create a new launcher and direct it to the /opt/jsword/BibleDesktop.sh

Should start..

Joao

[​IMG]

JoaoMachado, Oct 19, 2008
  6. inkbm

megapc

My recommendation is:

Go to Package Manager, search and install gnomesword.
    It will put a shortcut under accessories automatically.
    First time you run it it will ask you to chose bibles, dictionaries, commentaries, etc.

Hope this helps.

megapc, Dec 7, 2008
Ask a Question