Big Live Update - 8-9-9 - Linpus OS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Guest, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Guest

Roamer

Same issue with the password.
    kernel/driver/media has been cleaned in the process, so I had to reinstall the driver for the TV stick.

Roamer, Sep 9, 2008
  2. Guest

scottro

Hrrm, sounds like a typical Fedora update, half the things broken. :)

If any Fedora developers are reading this, just kidding---as we all know, errors happen and you guys usually sort out the serious ones quickly.

Seriously, hopefully it will be fixed soon. I want to thank all the people who posted--I was going to update, to see if it had fixed NetworkManager.

Apparently, it made it worse.

scottro, Sep 9, 2008
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Has any one of you experienced loss of wifi connection after a while? I was hoping that NetworkManager update would solve this problem. Alas! I was mistaken.

Guest, Sep 9, 2008
  4. Guest

Ravenpolar

hmm... im thinking that the error that stops me from updating was a blessing in disguise. :)

Ravenpolar, Sep 9, 2008
  5. Guest

Fuerst

Hi,

so far I don't seem to have the problem

cheers
    CF

Fuerst, Sep 9, 2008
  6. Guest

gadgetmind

Interesting, I wonder what percentage of people have this issue? It's getting close to a show-stopper for us. Wife's birthday pressie and having to type in this key a few dozen times a day is taking the shine off things!
    Ian

gadgetmind, Sep 9, 2008
  7. Guest

ivor

FYI there's a patch posted for this now:

NM_option0025v2.sh 09-Sep-2008 15:32 2.3M

I'm guessing that's the fix. Don't know if it solves the problem.. I haven't applied either update yet.

ivor, Sep 9, 2008
  8. Guest

mports

Superb, I've just downloaded the latest patch (180048) and can confirm it worked perfectly, it fixed the WEP issue for me - Well done Acer for such a quick fix :p

mports, Sep 9, 2008
  9. Guest

Nambleruk

Surprised isn't the word!

d/l the patch and all seems fine. Detected my wifi network, remembered the password.

Well done Acer.

Nambleruk, Sep 9, 2008
  10. Guest

gadgetmind

Well done indeed. My wife has just confirmed that it's also worked for her. Happy now. :)

I now just need to work out how to connect to our network printers and stop firefox bringing up an error console whenever we start it ...

Ian

gadgetmind, Sep 9, 2008
  11. Guest

one23

Where's the link for the patch please. Thanks.

one23, Sep 9, 2008
  12. Guest

nigelwill

Just run the Auto Update again, it will pick up the patch automatically.

nigelwill, Sep 9, 2008
  13. Guest

the_raptor

I hope one of the Live Update changes allows you to deselect updates, as I am now downloading updates for programs that don't even exist on my system. I have done most of the *macles mods plus updated my xorg and graphics driver so I am expecting this update to wreck my install. But experimentation is fun!

EDIT: It didn't hose my install. And doesn't seem to have reverted any of my mods.

the_raptor, Sep 9, 2008
  14. Guest

anz

Stupid question: does the update also upgrade the kernel?

--- Update ---
    after updating the kernel version is still the same, but all extra compiled modules (f.e. tun.ko for vpnc) are gone.
    But updating did not touch installed programmes as cisco client or kaffeine.

anz, Sep 9, 2008
  15. Guest

macles

That bothered me as well, until i just figured out that it's surprisingly easy to do.

macles, Sep 9, 2008
  16. Guest

ivor

I've been downloading the patches/updates manually from the update server instead so I can check what they're doing.
    I note that even though the binary packages are being updated, the source RPMS that Acer provided have not been updated, I think they need a reminder.

Check in /etc/online-updater/online-updater.conf to see what version you're on. then look in http://update.linpus.com/ACER/AspireOne to find the appropriate update image. All the update directories are incremental. i.e. the 1.0.11 just contains the files needed to bring an aspire at rev 1.0.11 up to date. 1.0.7, contains the files to bring a rev 1.0.7 aspire up to the 1.0.13 revision and so on.
    The file update.list contains the list of the scripts that need to be run for that particular update.

An interesting aside is that the default NetworkManager that came on my One has a "3G" option in it (albeit of no use) this gets removed when the NetworkManager updates are installed.

ivor, Sep 9, 2008
  17. Guest

ivor

also.. you can make it think it's already installed a package by adding the name of the ".sh" script into the "/var/lib/online-updater/installed-success.log" file.

e.g. adding acs0828.sh prevents the acer messenger update from installing

to identify the updates you can download the .sh files and run with "--list" to see what the contents of each patch are.

ivor, Sep 9, 2008
  18. Guest

zaphod

Slow is not the word; I've been downloading for over 30 minutes now and it is only on the third of the nine patches :shock:

zaphod, Sep 9, 2008
  19. Guest

palingenesis

good their fixed network manager bug, got the new patch this morning.

palingenesis, Sep 9, 2008
  20. Guest

Demibeard

Um, does anyone else have the issue that when you try to switch Thunar (the file manager) to tree view, it closes? I've applied the updates, and my network stuff is fine. I'd just downloaded some more icons an was about to copy them into the correct directory.

Any help or confirmation would be helpful, thanks in advance

Edit: Oops, looks like a reboot fixed it, sorry to waste anyone's time. :oops:

Demibeard, Sep 9, 2008
Ask a Question