.bin files

Discussion in 'Linux' started by amr27, Nov 3, 2008.

1. amr27

amr27

Hi, I have 8gb SSD version with linpus on it.

When i download somthing on my ssd (i use rapidshare 2mb/sec) my AAO stalls and i can do nothing untill the download is completed.
    Now i download directly to my external HDD and the problem i had is gone, jeej for that.
    But now every downloader .rar file automaticly has .bin added, when i rename this i can open it as a normal .rar .

Example: i download topgearpart1.rar
    the downloaded files says topgearpart1.rar.bin and i cannot open it with xarchiver.
    when i rename this to topgearpart1.rar i can.

is there a way of making my AAO not naming every downloaded file a .bin file ?

Thnx

amr27, Nov 3, 2008
  2. amr27

rbil

With Linux .bin files are usually executable files. Possibly a rar.bin is a self-extracting rar file? I have never seen one of them, so can't be positive.

.bin files are usually run by doing either:

./somefile.bin (when you are in the directory where the .bin file is located)

or

sh somefile.bin

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 3, 2008
  3. amr27

donec

I have had good results with just removing the .bin with rename and continuing as normal.

donec, Nov 3, 2008
Ask a Question