Bios corrupt!!! What to do?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by blizzerdz, Nov 8, 2008.

1. blizzerdz

blizzerdz

Hi everyone,
    I am not sure where I should put this?!?!

Ive searched everywhere for a simple and great solution for this, but havent forund one that works..

I have an aspire one a110 linpus edition. I updated the databse to the one that we need to run mac osx, and then it goes black.

Ive tried recovering with http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/10/acer-aspire-one-bios-v3305.html guide, but still nothing.....

ive tried some of the other aspire bios flashings, but still nothing...

here is how my aa1 is..

When I push the power button, the fan starts as regular, my power led is solid(not blinkin), my lcd is solid black.. As far as it goes, nothing realy happens.

When I hold Fn+esc before powering, my power button starts blinking. I have tryed 2 different USB pens, but there is no activity at all..

I even tryed Fn+home button to boot a .rom bios file, but still nothing...

Yes, I have used hp format tool to create a boot pen with bios boot files. then copied the newest bios version into the pen and changed the name of the bios file..

It have come to the point where I am thinking of shipping it to acer, but then I will be without the comp for some wile.

So pleas, if there is any way to recover the corrupt bios, pleas pleas help me..

Regards and thanks from Blizzerdz;)

blizzerdz, Nov 8, 2008
  2. blizzerdz

rbil

rbil, Nov 8, 2008
  3. blizzerdz

blizzerdz

Hi and thanks for the reply:D

It was that one I ment, just posted the wrong link. hehe.. didnt see that before now.. lol...

It is that guide I followed, and I found that guide here..

So I might have a problem here.

Is there any specific usb pens I must use?

I use a usb pen that is a sd card reader, it have worked as a pen drive for several linux live oses, and worked fine..

Regards

blizzerdz, Nov 8, 2008
  4. blizzerdz

rbil

I could be wrong, as I haven't followed either procedure outlined by macles, as I'm from the old school - "if it ain't broken - don't try and fix it". I have not updated my BIOS from the one that came with my first generation AAO and have yet to find a need to.

You talk about holding down keys while booting, which seems with a quick read is not the procedure outlined in that link I sent you. Whether one procedure is mutually exclusive of the other, I have no idea? But the link I sent talks about creating a FreeDOS bootable USB key and then booting from that and running a DOS batch file to update the BIOS. What you outlined doing, certainly wasn't that. It's quite possible that you have now created a corrupt BIOS that won't even boot from an external USB key. How you solve that, short of sending it back to Acer, I have no idea.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 9, 2008
  5. blizzerdz

blizzerdz

that line is gathered from the link you sendt me.

Press FN+esc.
    When I do that and hold down does buttons until the fan stops running at high speed, the power led just blinks.

I tryed updatinng the bios, because I got a CPU failor error, and I read that if I updated to the new one, it will fix that.. Instead it crashed my bios..

I sincerly hope there is a way around this and get it working again.

Regards and thanks for your help rbil:D

blizzerdz, Nov 9, 2008
  6. blizzerdz

rbil

Sorry for the confusion. Looks like I copied an incorrect URL to the one I was talking about. This is the one I meant to paste in my message ...

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/flashing-bios.html

I was wondering if that is the procedure you tried to use initially to flash your BIOS? Of course, now that you can't even get to the point of choosing to boot from an external USB drive, the only option left is hoping that BIOS recovery will work for you. Why it didn't/isn't, I have no idea. Like I said, I've not done either.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 9, 2008
  7. blizzerdz

blizzerdz

hi again.

I didnt unse that one, I used the one I found here for macosx, using the hp formating tool.

So it might be the problem.

I am so hoping that there is a solution.

Regards

blizzerdz, Nov 9, 2008
  8. blizzerdz

Boomer_K

I had to try 7 usb sticks before I found one that worked. I don't know what it is, but the BIOS recovery is super picky about the usb stick. Keep trying.

Boomer_K, Nov 10, 2008
  9. blizzerdz

blizzerdz

Witch stick did you use?

I use a kingston now, bujt still a NO GO...

I have contacted acer, but there is nothing happening, so I cant get it on service yet.... So I realy need a solution for this, since acer is so slow.grrr

blizzerdz, Nov 30, 2008
  10. blizzerdz

blizzerdz

I have found some neet things on the web,hehe. one is CRISIS Disk!!!..

How do I make a usb crisis rescue disk???

I couldnt find a new version of crisis, only a old one. and that one only works on a floppy drive.

Is there a work around or any new ones that works on a usb drive??

Regards

blizzerdz, Nov 30, 2008
Ask a Question