Bios flashing misadventure

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by kenwshmt, Feb 6, 2009.

1. kenwshmt

kenwshmt

I have a new windows system with the 3305 bios, and it will probably stay that way after this happened. :?

I was doing the standard updates one does with a new machine, and there are plenty of suggestions here to update the bios at the first opportunity.
    I went and got 3309, winflashed it, and on the restart the cpu fan came on. The machine went into thermal shutdown within about 30 seconds.
    :evil:

I see that has happened to many here. :roll:

Now I was annoyed, and not liking the idea of blind flashing, or returning the system for another, I tried a hardware approach.

I put the system into a deep freeze for 20 minutes.
    Turning the system on after it had reached freezing temperatures kept it going for about 2 minutes, still not long enough to do much with it. ;)

I let it cool off and tried again; this time I held the hoze from a powerful vacuum cleaner on the exhaust vent on the side of the laptop, while it sat on top of a TV dinner.

It wasn't over heating shutting down. :eek:

It made it into windows (2 minutes), I winflashed the 3305 bios (1 minute) , and its been fine since.

Anyone who has 'bricked' their system with a bios upgrade might try this, it worked. :!: :D

kenwshmt, Feb 6, 2009
  2. kenwshmt

jpearn

I had the same problem with 3309 on my 2nd machine . . . However using a DOS bootable stick (created with unetbootin and FreeDOS) with the BIOS loaded on there you can cut down the time the laptop needs to be on by at least half.

I like the freezer idea, but did you not have concerns about the screen / condensation ?? !!

jpearn, Feb 12, 2009
  3. kenwshmt

kenwshmt

It wasn't in the deep freeze that long.
    I had it on while in the freezer, so it was sucking in freezing air into the vents.

kenwshmt, Feb 12, 2009
  4. kenwshmt

christakos

I had exactly the same adventure going from 3305 to 3309.
    The solution is to flash bios, then when the netbook is off remove the battery and boot with out it. When the system is fully loaded and working, place the battery back. For some reason the new bios puts the battery in over current or overtemp status and to reset this you have to do what I described above, by the way i found the solution surfing on the net.

christakos, Feb 14, 2009
Ask a Question