BIOS for AO531h

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by sparkey083, Apr 3, 2011.

1. sparkey083

sparkey083

The BIOS on my AO531h does not see the HDD - or, at least, when I enter BIOS-Setup via F2 at boot the main page says that the HDD Model Name is "None". It's possible to boot a PCLOS-distro from CD, but PCLOS can't see the HDD either. I've stripped the machine down in search of a loose cable, but no joy there. Since it's knackered anyway, I thought I might as well try flashing the BIOS; never know, that may fix it :lol: . Trouble is that I can't locate the correct one for the machine. Could anyone help me out, please? Many thanks.

BTW, the current BIOS-version is 0.3117.

sparkey083, Apr 3, 2011
  2. sparkey083

Swarvey Moderator

Latest BIOS for the 531h that I know of is version 3304 here

Can you extract the hard drive and test if it's working either in a USB cradle or in another computer?

Swarvey, Apr 3, 2011
  3. sparkey083

sparkey083

Many thanks for the info. Yes, I've removed the HDD and tried it in another machine and it is readable (see here: viewtopic.php?t=25276 for my other post on this machine). Strangely, the HDD will not boot in my Thinkpad, but that probably just indicates a bad MBR. However, according to my knowledge on the subject, a bad MBR should not preclude the BIOS from actually seeing the HDD. Which my Thinkpad clearly does. So, there may be two faults with the machine: a faulty MBR and a dodgy BIOS :eek: . Any more thoughts from your end? Thanks again.

Edit: Just thought that I'm not entirely sure that there's not a loose cable anywhere, because I haven't been able to completely remove the motherboard - I only managed to loosen and lift it slightly, then looked underneath. Is there a how-to anywhere, which describes removing the mb in a ZG8? Thanks.

sparkey083, Apr 4, 2011
  4. sparkey083

ldra02

Reread, I can't offer any help :X

ldra02, May 23, 2011
Ask a Question