Bios Question

Discussion in 'Linux' started by barrie, Mar 23, 2009.

1. barrie

barrie

Hi,

My system is running Linux only, with a personalised xfce desktop and added applications like Skype, Opera, Thunderbird,VLC to name a few and running Bios V0.3109.

My questions is that I have read many threads regarding having to get the latest Bios version especially if there is BSOD issues.

But my system humms along and with no problems downloading any software I want to add, :) so I would like to know is there really any point in updating the Bios and if not will there be any adverse issues. :?

barrie, Mar 23, 2009
  2. barrie

sch911

Remember the old addage: "If it aint broke don't fix it"?

Don't upgrade unless it's needed to fix an active issue.....

sch911, Mar 24, 2009
  3. barrie

barrie

Thanks for the reply, and yes this is my philosophy as well. It just seems from reading many threads that it is the thing to do.

But I was not enthusiastic to the many who encountered problems so will run as is, if there are no real benefits.

barrie, Mar 24, 2009
  4. barrie

ronime

BIOS v3114 and earlier are prone to BIOS corruption. This can usually be "repaired" using the emergency BIOS recovery procedure.

BIOS v3301 and later attempt to address flickering issues at low backlight levels on certain types of LCD panel. You may find that your backlight does not dim sufficiently if you use these later BIOS versions.

ronime, Mar 24, 2009
  5. barrie

barrie

Hi ronime,

I have not had this flickering issue and no problems using Fn + left or right arrows to adjust the screen brightness.
    But thank you for the info, as I said the little box humms and am at the stage now of seriously considering abandoning MS altogether. ;)

barrie, Mar 24, 2009
  6. barrie

ronime

If your screen is fine at low brightness then I would not upgrade beyond v3114 just now. Looking at the BIOS release notes, I cannot see much incentive for you to upgrade from v3109 to v3114.

Unfortunately my white A150 is affected by the flickering issue and so I have upgraded this to v3309. My blue A150 has no flicker and this stays at v3114. I was using this in a darkened room last night and the 21% backlight setting was essential, the white A150 would have made my eyes hurt!

If you acquire another battery and encounter battery gauge calibration issues then v3305 or later might be appropriate.

ronime, Mar 24, 2009
  7. barrie

Grim Squeaker

You could upgrade to a Gateway or Packard Bell Bios instead. They do not have this problem and are compatible with the AAO.
    See http://macles.blogspot.com/2009/03/brig ... table.html for more information.

Grim Squeaker, Mar 24, 2009
  8. barrie

ronime

Yeah, saw that earlier. Might give the Gateway BIOS a whirl just for sh*ts and giggles. Not sure if my preferred Fan Control software will be confused by the "regressed" BIOS version number though...

UPDATE: Tried both the Gateway and Packard Bell BIOS. The current version of AA1FanControl does not work with either version. :cry:

ronime, Mar 24, 2009
  9. barrie

barrie

This makes me seriously wonder what Acer intends to do regarding Fedora 10, and if they are considering a whole core update at some point. :eek:

barrie, Mar 24, 2009
Ask a Question