Black screen, or constant BSOD after *drop*

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by bobsacamano, Aug 17, 2010.

1. bobsacamano

bobsacamano

Well, what can I say, after meticulously keeping all of my devices safe and like new for years, I managed to drop my Aspire One. (110 model, with a couple upgrades)

After the *drop,* the computer would not turn on at all. I thought it was toast, so I put it aside, and went out and bought a new one. Here's where it gets interesting. A few days later, I pressed the power button, and low and behold, it turned on. It booted successfully into Windows 7, lasted about 30 seconds before I was hit with the Blue Screen Of Death.

Now each time I try to turn it on, it either does nothing, (black screen, no response whatsoever except for a flickering light) or it successfully boots into Windows, then about 30 seconds later has a BSOD and dies.

Some BSOD errors I have seen:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    BAD_POOL_HEADER

So, is it dead? Is the SSD corrupted? Is there anything I can do? :|

Cheers.

bobsacamano, Aug 17, 2010
  2. bobsacamano

Swarvey Moderator

When it BSOD's do you get any codes like 0x00000000? Those codes will give you a bit more specific information .

Swarvey, Aug 17, 2010
  3. bobsacamano

bobsacamano

Hmm, I'll give it a shot. Not sure if the codes are the same each time, but I will give it a go. I just tried to do it, the machine has been running okay for about 15 minutes now... No issues... Is it possible that there is something corrupted on the SSD where if not accessed it will not cause problems? Is it plausible that some piece of hardware may have been shaken out of it's seating? Keeping an eye out for the BSOD. :|

Just now, instead of BSOD, it just re-booted itself for no reason, and froze on "Windows Error Recovery"...

bobsacamano, Aug 18, 2010
  4. bobsacamano

bobsacamano

BSOD Error:

*** STOP: 0x00000019 (0x00000003, 0x80E84488, 0x80E8F688, 0x80E84488)

Then it said "collecting data for crash dump ..." but did not do anything, it was just stuck on this screen totally unresponsive.

5. bobsacamano

Swarvey Moderator

Just googled your BSOD code, here's the link

Looks like it could be corrupted data on the storage medium, in your case, the SSD. But the other solution might be a fair bit easier than diagnosing / repairing Windows, it should also be done first.

You'll need to boot either a Windows 7 disk or a Linux live CD. Reason being they come with memory checking facilities and by the sounds of it you really need to check your RAM. If the RAM check fails, then you can either clean or replace the faulty RAM module in your netbook.
    You will probably need to disassemble your AAO to a point, remove the RAM chip and either clean the contacts with a pencil eraser (until they're shiny and gold) or replace the RAM module itself. However if you still have warranty, and your RAM chip is not accessible by a panel on the under-side of your AAO, i'd suggest sending it away for warranty repair. Just don't tell them you've dropped it.

The reason I suggest checking the RAM module first is because if you don't, then running any soft repairs such as fixing corrupted files in Windows will go nowhere if your RAM has developed a fault. Faulty RAM will cause corrupted files, corrupted files will send you back to the BSOD.

Swarvey, Aug 18, 2010
  6. bobsacamano

bobsacamano

Thank you for the reply.

On my previous installation of Windows XP, after about 3 months I started getting sporadic BSOD errors. I re-formatted it with Windows 7 and the problem seemed to go away... Until now. I am worried that the RAM may be physically damaged. The last resort I had in this was to harvest that RAM for my new netbook which only includes 1 Gig out of the box, but I guess I will cancel that! I have never taken a computer apart before.

7. bobsacamano

Swarvey Moderator

Try and get a hold of a Linux CD (The come with most PC magazines) boot it from an external drive, or create a bootable USB drive with it. But you really must run a RAM test. Replacing RAM on the 110 isn't the easiest thing, but certainly not impossibly difficult. Just search the forum for a how-to

Swarvey, Aug 19, 2010
Ask a Question