Black Screen

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Scottc, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Scottc

Scottc

Hey,

I have had this machine for 3 months and everything was working fine.

Yesterday I putzed around on the internet, rebooted, and now have no screen.

I have to hold the power switch down (for about 15 seconds) to turn it off.

I have the Acer 110, Linpus, 1GB, 16GB,

Is there a fix for this?

Scott

Scottc, Apr 7, 2009
  2. Scottc

barrie

Hi Scottc,

Before you consider using the rescue CD, try this turn the Acer on with just the battery connected not the charger, when you get to this black screen instead of using the power button to turn it off just pull the battery out. Obviously you will need a part charged battery for this.

Leave for five mins replace the battery and turn the box back on, do you get the same result or does it now boot?

If not then I would use the rescue USB stick which will restore your Acer to new condition as out of the box, this only takes 20 mins from start to finish.

barrie, Apr 7, 2009
  3. Scottc

Scottc

Hey barrie

Thanks for your response, I got the computer back up and running by "Flashing the BIOS" thanks to some tips from this forum site and also the spot macles.blogspot.com.

Great help, I followed the instruction on this spot and I was back at where I was at before.

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer ... overy.html

This is what I did and it is a renewed.

Scott

Scottc, Apr 11, 2009
  4. Scottc

barrie

Hi Scott,

Pleased to here all is well now, it might pay to make a system recovery USB but one that will restore the notebook back to new with all the added applications and mods you have done. Have a look at this

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html

barrie, Apr 11, 2009
  5. Scottc

Scottc

Hello barrie,

Oh yes, that is one of the first things I ever did, as a matter of fact, it crashed on boot up immediately after doing a macles backup, however, the backup (on a 4GB Sandisk Cruzer) was no good for recovery since it never even got to the screen that allowed me to choose boot sequence.

It never got anywhere, just the power button light came on and that was it.

I had called Acer Tech Support and even got a Service recovery number (authorization to return) after they walked me through all manner of possible recovery routines and none of them worked, however, their last effort was to tell me to hold down the (Fn + Esc. and then hit Power On), it didn't work, but it did remind of something I had read somewhere and I kept searching the forum and Macles and found the thread on "flashing the BIOS", that did the trick, took 2 minutes and brought it right back to where it had been.

No recovery was necessary, (ie, reinstalling apps or software mods), it also updated the BIOS to 3309 so I hope it doesn't happen again.

Kudos to the great support on these Acer Aspire One websites from all the users, it's better than any OFFICIAL tech support.

Scottc

Scottc, Apr 12, 2009
Ask a Question