black screen

Discussion in 'Linux' started by kemosabi, Jun 16, 2009.

1. kemosabi

kemosabi

Guys
    pleasae help i have been using my aspire one linux lite version for 2 weeks now no problom now it boots up throught the start up screen then i get the black screen of death ???? i cannot do anything with it, i am new to linux and am struggling to understand what happend

kemosabi, Jun 16, 2009
  2. kemosabi

rarebook

You will see from the only thread I started that I am beginner who had a bad experience. I have the impression the native version of linux is buggy. Maybe linux should use the Windows idea of re-installing damaged system files on startup (maybe it does? I am no expert).

I assume you are plugged in and not suffering from a flat battery? I hope suggesting that you check the obvious does not sound rude. If it's not that, then probably the advice you will get is try to boot from a live CD, or if you don't have an external CD reader, boot from a version of linux on a bootable USB stick (which did not work for me). The CD or USB stick could have the native version of linux or some other version. At least that way you should see the computer working, and have the option of rescuing any data, and of re-installing the operating system if necessary. Of course, to create either a bootable linux CD or a bootable linux 'USB stick you need another computer. Whether, once you get access to the Aspire One, the OS is likely to be repairable without a compete re-install, is a question which is beyond my very limited expertise.

John

rarebook, Jun 16, 2009
  3. kemosabi

csmo

csmo, Jun 16, 2009
Ask a Question