Blank screen on startup

Discussion in 'Linux' started by frnk_penny, Sep 15, 2008.

1. frnk_penny

frnk_penny

I had used the One for about a week without a problem, but then it just displayed the Acer screens when switched on, and showed a blank screen. No attempt to boot up, but the cursor shows and the touchpad works.

As many others have found, the so-called Recovery dvd is rubbish - it screws up my Ubuntu laptop when trying to create a USB recovery, and I have no intention of trying it on another machine!!!

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

frnk_penny, Sep 15, 2008
  2. frnk_penny

daldred

daldred, Sep 15, 2008
  3. frnk_penny

rbil

The process attempts to write to /dev/sda which it assumes is your flash drive. In your laptop, the regular hdd is mistakenly seen as this flash drive and hence the problem you experienced.

You can try running the process on a regular desktop computer after disconnecting all internal drives. Or you can use your laptop if you can first pull out the hard drive in it. Or you can run the process in a virtual machine, using something like vmplayer to isolate your hard drive from the process.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 16, 2008
  4. frnk_penny

tngdiablo

I too have this problem. On Friday, I was using my One (Linpus) and tried opening the Webcam and the OS crashed. Showed me some multicolored vertical lines along the bottom third of the system, so I forced a power off and then packed it up. Later that night, I went to turn it on and got past the Aspire One splash screen. After that, I get a black screen with a movable cursor. Thats it.

I have already tried flashing the BIOS to the latest version. My last major software modification was at least a week ago, and I had been using it every day since, so I believe that rules out any problems there.

Anyone have ideas?

tngdiablo, Sep 28, 2008
  5. frnk_penny

She

Same conditions. Fn works for some actions (screen intensity, Z freeze, keypad disable etc), BUT no way to get out of the black screen. Cursor moves BUT no left not right click responses. I booted successfully AA1 with a Slax OS via USB, so hardware is working.

She, Oct 2, 2008
  6. frnk_penny

tngdiablo

Ended up just doing a system recovery since there doesn't seem to be any documentation on this problem. Still not sure what caused the issue though, which has me a bit peeved. Hopefully the problem does not arise again...

tngdiablo, Oct 2, 2008
  7. frnk_penny

She

Found this in the /var/log/xdm.log.

Code:
    X Window System Version 1.3.0
    Release Date: 19 April 2007
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
    Build Operating System: Fedora Core 7 Red Hat, Inc.
    Current Operating System: Linux LINPUS 2.6.24.2-1lp #1 SMP Fri Feb 22 13:47:20 CST 2008 i686
    Build Date: 17 October 2007
    Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.3.0.0-33.fc8 
    	Before reporting problems, check [url]http://wiki.x.org[/url]
    	to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Module Loader present
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Mar 19 16:42:49 2008
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (EE) Failed to load module "sis" (module does not exist, 0)
    (EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    xdm error (pid 1637): server unexpectedly died
    xdm error (pid 1637): Server for display :0 can't be started, session disabled

Fatal server error: no screens found
    Any ideas?

She, Oct 3, 2008
  8. frnk_penny

alexacid

I`m to have this problem, I get a black screen with a movable cursor, But at first i`m try del user, becouse when i type users in terminal limpus give me user user user, 3 users ? and i type SU root, userdel user, it me -> you can`t del user if logining.
    OK, i do not understand it and reboot my AAO110, then i get black screen and movable cursor but anything not work only poweroff, so suxx, And i can boot my live-usb (knoppix) and it boot good, but i don`t know what doing.

alexacid, Jan 6, 2009
Ask a Question