Blank Screen!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Grossy, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Grossy

Grossy

Hi - I bought a couple of AAO's for my daughters.

One of them has managed to do something (I suspect not properly shutting it down) which means that when it is turned the initial launch / splash screen won't load.

I checked the Acer website - which is less than helpful.
    Is the only solution to create and use a recovery USB key as detailed on the Acer support site - or is there something straightforward that will cure it.

Thanks in advance.

Grossy, Jan 5, 2009
  2. Grossy

Dinnty

The most common reason for a blank screen is pressing the F6 key. This toggles the screen on and off. This should be in a FAQ somewhere.

Dinnty, Jan 8, 2009
  3. Grossy

whyay

Maybe it is not turned off? Unplug the electricity, remove the battery for about 1 minute and then insert the battery back, plug the electricity and press power button (once) to turn it on. If all is ok, then it is perhaps because your AA1 went to suspend and did not want to wake up for some reason. If it does not help, then recover your AA! to fabric settings.(If your computer hangs you can hold power button for 5-10 seconds until it is shut down)

whyay, Jan 8, 2009
  4. Grossy

Grossy

Thanks for the suggestions, however neither worked.

Also the second netbook has done precisely the same.

It fires up - you get the boot screen allowing you to F2 into the BIOS and then the acer screen flashes up (with acer in the bottom right) then no applications screens. Just blackness and a cursor.
    Incidentally I don't know if it is related - but Live Update did nothing when they were working - so I don't know whether this is a known issue for which a patch has been released.

I guess the only option is to do a restore and try again.
    But frankly I am dissappointed that these Netbooks would appear so unstable. If I can't fix these by doing a restore - I will be rejecting them.

Grossy, Jan 11, 2009
  5. Grossy

daldred

It does seem strange that you have two which have done the same thing, and something which has not been reported elsewhere. You may, of course, have two from a faulty batch.

You said you didn't know what had triggered it: it's hard but not impossible to wreck any system (sudo rm -Rf * from the Linux command line will do it - wipes everything from the disk - as will deleting a Widnows system folder), and if someone has done something of this order it seems a little harsh to blame the machine.

daldred, Jan 11, 2009
  6. Grossy

marysia4

marysia4, Jan 11, 2009
Ask a Question