Bluetooth & GPS MOD

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by jaybepr, May 17, 2009.

1. jaybepr

jaybepr

Hi to all, i have an Aspire ONE 3G with some personal MODS i like to share. First i install Windows Vista Ultimate with all the proper Video, audio, Web Cam and other drivers. I instatall Win 7 build 7100 and it was very stable but i prefere to have the Vista for now on my ONE. OK then i replaced the 3G Modem with a SierraWireless 881 Mini PCI-E, u can find the 881U (USB) modem and inside is the PCI Card and is shiper than buy just the card, most people dont know that and sale the USB modem broken (the USB connector, no power & othe things) but the card inside 75% of the time is in good conditions. That card u upgrade the Firmware with the Sierra generic firmware and download the Sierre connection manager with GPS and u have a mobile Aspire one with a FULL GPS, i can get 4 sat inside my house, more sats than with my TomTom. Then i found a combo Mini PCI-E card on Ebay (2 in 1 Wireless MINI PCI-Express Card WiFi Bluetooth US) Copy paste that on Ebay, and for $27 US u can get a better Wi-Fi card and BT, this upgrade consume more power from your ONE, it cuts my 5 1/2 time to 4 1/2, not to bad for the benefit of having a GPS & BT on my litle ONE. I recomend to have the extended battery for this upgrades. About the program to use the GPS u can use the Garmin PC, it can be found at BUY.com for $59 US. or u can try som freeware from the internet that can let u use diferent types of GPS receivers, and about the Wi-Fi / BT card, u can't tunr it of like the original Wi-Fi because the new card use a driver that works like as a switch betwin the Wi-Fi and the BT. Thats it for now my friends, i will be posting some pictures later, if there is any sugestions to improve my upgrades the critics are welcome..... :mrgreen:

jaybepr, May 17, 2009
  2. jaybepr

jaybepr

Here are some pictures i took with my phone and transfer with the BT

jaybepr, May 17, 2009
  3. jaybepr

pablo101

:shock: :shock:

WOW, very impressive!! Where abouts did you buy this *faulty* modem, had a quick peep on eBay but appears to be no "broken" ones yet...

pablo101, May 17, 2009
  4. jaybepr

jerryt

Seach for "Sierra as is" and then buy a u881 or 881 usb model, remove the MC8781 card, unlock with "DC Unlocker" upgrade the firmware for GPS fuction, install Garmin Mobile PC, Run Sierra GPS....

THIS WORKS WITHOUT THE 3G CARD BEING ON LINE, GPS FUNCTION WITHOUT RUNNING UP YOUR BROADBAND CHARGES.

AWESOME !!

jerryt, May 17, 2009
  5. jaybepr

jaybepr

Yes my friend thats all u have to do, just look for as-is, broken, for parts 881U on Ebay, but remember u are buying a broken product and not all the time they work, the broken part is outside (the case) but people beat the crap out of them. U dont need to unlock the card if u are AT&T, just Firmware and Sierra Wireless Watcher R 3.1.0.6 that have the GPS Watcher.

jaybepr, May 17, 2009
  6. jaybepr

jerryt

If you upgrade the firmware, then DC Unlocker can not unlock.

jerryt, May 17, 2009
  7. jaybepr

jaybepr

Then if u want it unlock, unlockit first and then do the Firmware upgrade, if u don't do the Firmware upgrade the GPS don't work.

jaybepr, May 17, 2009
  8. jaybepr

jerryt

The GPS functions still work even with a rejected Sim card. This is the best news to getting a working GPS receiver into a Aspire One.

Super...

jerryt, May 18, 2009
  9. jaybepr

jaybepr

Yes, u just need a sim card inserted (i think) there is no need to be connected to the network to have the GPS working. Only if u use the Locate ME option from the GPS program that u need to be connected to the network, it locates u on Google maps. :D

jaybepr, May 19, 2009
  10. jaybepr

cv65user

so outside was one of these = http://eracellularshop.co.cc/images/Sie ... 20881U.jpg
    and when you strip it down , inside is a mini pci e bt/wifi card?

or is it gps /bt only?
    or all 3 ? bt / wifi / gps ?

where do you insert the sim card you say ? becasue 881u seems you need complete bezel as it holds the sim card. but if you have striped the bezel out then how can the unit hold the sim card in place without the bezel ?

so i flash with AC881U_F1_2_3_15ap
    install 3G_Watcher_MP
    get garmin mobile
    where do you get that bluetooth management soiftware? - thats why i am unsure if 881u has bluetooth integrated or not ?

cv65user, Jun 24, 2009
  11. jaybepr

jerryt

MC8781 is a 3G module with GPS functions, it has no bluetooth functions.

Sim card reader is pre-installed on the motherboard of AAO models which support 3G.

Un-supported models (motherboards)can be modified by; installing the 3G connector, sim reader, moding WiFi switch button, and adding antennas.
    viewtopic.php?f=43&t=13518&p=85018#p85018

jerryt, Jun 24, 2009
  12. jaybepr

cv65user

oh i want one with all 3 bt / wifi / gps - is this possible on the mini pci-e ? as i have a150-l . which does not have sim card slot and i am not keen on modding it .

cv65user, Jun 26, 2009
  13. jaybepr

jerryt

There are cards with combinations of BT and WiFi, or 3G and GPS. But I have not seen three functions in one card.

jerryt, Jun 26, 2009
  14. jaybepr

cv65user

cv65user, Jun 27, 2009
  15. jaybepr

Stl_Jeeper

I know this is a old thread, I just got my aoa150 and would like to add the gps to my puter. My main question is do i have to have att service to use the gps or will i have to sign up for all of that?

Stl_Jeeper, Oct 19, 2009
  16. jaybepr

jerryt

GPS works without; 3G contract and sim card. You only need the MC8781 Sierra Wireless card and the upgraded firmware.

jerryt, Oct 19, 2009
  17. jaybepr

Stl_Jeeper

well thats a releif. I am getting ready to get a sierra 881u card to replace my qualcomm 9212 card after spending way to long to find out that the qualcomm dosent support the gps function from the lack of information i found online. thanks for the info

Stl_Jeeper, Oct 20, 2009
  18. jaybepr

-BK-

So with this card from eBay "SIERRA MC8781 WWAN LAN PCI-E AIRCARD MODULE HSDPA 3G", I upgrade firmware to 'unlock' GPS-function? Install it in my AAO and GPS should work? Please can anyone confirm before I buy, thanks.
    So where do I put the card in my AAO? I have one of the first released AAO, so no 3G AAO...

-BK-, Oct 30, 2009
  19. jaybepr

lotus49

I am confused.

The title of this thread is "Bluetooth & GPS MOD" but AFAICT the USBConnect 881 is effectively a 3G card that appears to have built-in GPS - so where does bluetooth come into it?

Am I correct in that this is a 3G and GPS card but nothing else?

lotus49, Nov 2, 2009
  20. jaybepr

jerryt

Reread the first post

jerryt, Nov 2, 2009
Ask a Question