bluetooth & Linux Mint 9 (Ubuntu)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by alun_sundry, May 28, 2010.

1. alun_sundry

alun_sundry

I've put Linux Mint 9 on my Acer Aspire 1, which if you didn't know is basically Ubuntu 10.04 with all the codecs added and some other tweaks. Mint 9 is also on my Toshiba laptop.

Is it possible to set up bluetooth with more than one similar device?

Having recently got rid of my Mobile Broadband to cut down on a bout of internet addiction I use a bluetooth dongle to get some brief use of email each day. During setup using Mint's bluetooth wizard my phone seems to want to identify both computers as being the same, though I try to rename them from the default lee-laptop-0 to lee-netbook and lee-tosh.

First this wouldn't work it seemed because the phone was saving both as lee-laptop-0 or lee-tosh, then when I changed the pass number from the six digit automatic setting to 1111 I'm guessing the phone or mint's bluetooth program seemed to see some other difference in the two computers, and would only connect with the last one set up. If I try to alter the netbook or laptop's saved name, e.g. lee-tosh, the next time I try to set up the other computer the phone identifies it with the name I've just changed the other computer to.

I imagine only someone who's managed to do this right with more than one Mint computer will be able to advise - this problem may even seem baffling to someone who hasn't 'been there' - or perhaps there is a quick and simple reason why two similar gadgets can't be connected, some shortcoming in the Mint bluetooth program so far, in which case I'll have to decide which of the computers will be able to go online.

Thanks for any input.

alun_sundry, May 28, 2010
  2. alun_sundry

qbic2005

From what I gather you have 2 mint pc's connected to 1 phone. That should be no problem.
    You mentioned that you changed the name, in the phone or on the mint pc's?

You'll have to change the name (used for bluetooth) in the mint itself :!:
    (I guess through 'menu' -> 'bluetooth', but check the manual or forum)

qbic2005, Jul 18, 2010
Ask a Question