Boot-132 AA1 Kexts?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by srvaao, Feb 8, 2009.

1. srvaao

srvaao

Through the help of people on this forum and Insanelymac, I have iAtkos running on my AA1. I'm still a relative noob, but was looking at the Boot-132 method of using the retail DVD which I have. From my understanding, this would allow me to update with minimal problems. I don't know if there are any other advantages over my current setup.

The guides always assume I know what people mean, but there are always things that don't quite make sense. My main question is what are the exact kexts that I need to use to make a bootable CD which gets used to make a partition. I'm guessing the ones that we have to modify after the initial install, but don't know for sure.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

srvaao, Feb 8, 2009
  2. srvaao

Kopsis

The latest generation of hackintosh distros (iAtkos, iPC, XxX, etc.) result in an install that isn't significantly different than what you get from installing via retail and then adding a bunch of kexts to get your specific hardware to work. A retail install on the AAO is still going to need all the same patches and hacks that are required for iAtkos (and probably more) and as a result it's just as likely to break on an update.

My recommendation is that unless you're installing on hardware that is highly compatible with retail OS X (the AAO is definitely not), save yourself a lot of time and just go with one of the proven distros.

Kopsis, Feb 9, 2009
  3. srvaao

srvaao

Thanks for the reply. I've done a little more research and think that I may try to get a boot-132 system working so that the updates work (in theory). I guess that the kexts and the fixes can go in a small partition that loads before the regular retail Leopard on another partition. You're probably right though in that it wouldn't likely give me anything other than the convenience of not having to reinstall kexts with each update.

srvaao, Feb 17, 2009
Ask a Question