Boot from SD (modify GRUB)?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by runy, Mar 11, 2009.

1. runy

runy

Hi everyone,

Sorry for my english :oops:

It's possible to modify the GRUB for boot from SD? I want to install other Linux distribution (BackTrack) in SD, but the problem is that the AAO cannot boot from SD directly.

Thanks.

runy, Mar 11, 2009
  2. runy

JerryP

You can't directly boot from the SD because it's not supported by the BIOS which GRUB uses to read the kernel.
    However, you can put the kernel and any required initrd where GRUB can get at it and mount the SD as the root filesystem.
    This requires the kernel to have available, either buillt-in or as part of the initrd, all the drivers necessary to access the FS on the SD.

I think you'll need at least:
    sdhci, sdhci_pci, mmc_core, mmc_block, and the filesystem drivers for the FS on the SD.

One way to test is to build an initrd wth all of the modules in it that lsmod lists which boots to a shell prompt, then insmod the drivers until you can mount the SD. That's my plan for building a bootable USB stick that actually runs from the USB device.

JerryP, Mar 12, 2009
Ask a Question