Boot from USB??

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Kilhd, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Kilhd

Kilhd

Hi all..
    Last night I wanted to install kuki linux to my AAO-150(came with XP). It seems I can't get it to go to the boot menu(F12) though. Currently I have windows 7 on it and I installed using the same USB drive as I tried with linux(tried LiLi USB Creator, and UNetbootin and different distros). It seems to freeze at the "acer" screen when I have the USB drive in place ready to "boot". I have to remove battery to reset the netbook. Any suggestion as to what's going here? Thanks in advance for any info.

Kilhd, Mar 2, 2010
  2. Kilhd

RockDoctor

Bad iso file? I installed kuki once upon a time (from a USB flash drive), and don't recall having any problems. If you're using a USB flash drive, you might try reformatting it before putting kuki on it.

RockDoctor, Mar 6, 2010
  3. Kilhd

Kilhd

I guess a bit more info of me would help.
    I thought of "bad iso file" I tried kuki, linux mint 8, fedora, even netbsd. It's something to do with the netbook not wanting to boot from USB I think. I am just not sure what. I have formatted the USB drive using different methods. None of them seem to do anything. It just hangs at the "acer" screen. When I press "F2" or "F12" nothing happens. I have to pull the battery out to get it to reboot. If I take the USB drive out and reboot, it boots normally right back into Win7. I have used the USB drive to install WIndows 7 (came with XP Home) so I know I can load an OS from it. Not sure what's going on though.
    Thanks for any info.

Kilhd, Mar 6, 2010
  4. Kilhd

RockDoctor

It's possible that yur USB drive has gone bad. Do you have another you can try?
    Also, can you format the drive as a FAT32 drive in Windows 7 using fdisk (or whatever equivalent program is included in Win7) before you run unetbootin/LiveUSBCreator/etc... to place your Linux distro or netbsd on it? I've occasionally had problems with unetbootin not properly formatting my USB drive; when I formatted it first (from Linux using fdisk, but that shouldn't matter), the problem went away.

RockDoctor, Mar 6, 2010
Ask a Question