boot manager messes

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sean808080, Mar 3, 2009.

1. sean808080

sean808080

so i finally got macosX, XP, and Mandriva linux all living on my AAO but I have a little clean up to do and I'm not sure how to go about it.

The problem is that each OS has installed it's own boot manager and it goes like this:
    If I want to run macosX
    system boots

goes to mandriva #1 with xp and mandriva options

pick mandriva and it goes to a secondary mandriva grub menu with a macosx, xp, and mandriva option

pick macosX then it goes to a darwin boot loader with macosx and XP as options...pick macosX

so that is the path to get to macosX. i obviously have 2 ext2 partitions with Mandriva (dont ask)

so it's a big mess I'd love to cleanup. I'm not sure how to settle on one boot loader and have it load everything successfully.

any suggestions are appreciated. in this scenario is it best to have the boot manager (grub?) on the boot sector or not? how do i get it there and remove others..

I'm so glad to finally have all 3 os options on a little ole netbook but i'll be glad when this bm mess is cleaned up.

cheers
    s
    :geek:

sean808080, Mar 3, 2009
  2. sean808080

sean808080

sean808080, Mar 4, 2009
Ask a Question