Boot off MicroSD in USB reader

Discussion in 'Linux' started by casual observer, Mar 19, 2011.

1. casual observer

casual observer

Only WIn XP on this acer for now. QUestion:
    Can/How I make a bootable MicroSD card that's inserts into a USB reader? Also suggest best Linux version for it in descending order.
    Specs:
    Acer: AOA-150 ZG5
    Card: 2GB SD-CO2G JAPAN
    USB reader: DaneElec

Related question:
    Can I use for the same purpose an IOCELL 4GB NetDISK model R5-4GB Castella v3.0 USB Removable Drive Autorun card without destroying the existing filesystem on it?

Moderators , please move/cross-post this message where it belongs if not here.

Thanx in advance.

casual observer, Mar 19, 2011
  2. casual observer

donec

If you are installing Linux to the MicroSD card that is inserted in a USB reader, then when you run the installation there should be a feature that allows you to select the drive you want to install it to. Then you use the same procedure as for any drive. I have done it using Linux Mint with no problem.

donec, Mar 21, 2011
  3. casual observer

princethrash

The Acer Aspire One cannot boot from an SD card. There is no support for it in the BIOS. Asus netbooks HAVE this function, Aspire One's do not. This is actually going to cause me to reconsider the Acer Aspire for my next netbook, as it seems to be the only missing function.

If new Acer Aspire's can boot the SD card, finally, please let me know.

I know this thread was old, but unanswered threads with well-known answers bother me to no end.

princethrash, Jun 10, 2011
  4. casual observer

donec

The Acer Aspire One D150-1920 will boot from an SDHC card.

donec, Jun 10, 2011
  5. casual observer

princethrash

donec,

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize Acer had finally fixed this hole, I guess I can still consider them for my new netbook.

princethrash, Jun 10, 2011
  6. casual observer

donec

That is not true for all Acer Aspire Ones. The Acer Aspire One D150-1920 BIOS does support booting from an SDHC and will boot from an SDHC card. However! My Acer Aspire One ZG5 A110 BIOS does not support booting from an SDHC.

donec, Jul 2, 2011
  7. casual observer

casual observer

Just an update:
    It does boot Slitaz-cooking off this MicroSD now, but making it bootable (writing etc.) took a few tries with different utilities some of which didn't do as advertised.

casual observer, Jul 15, 2011
  8. casual observer

donec

That sounds like the software for making the sd card was at fault. Because if it was the bios then the computer would never see the sd card at boot time regardless of the software on the sd card.

donec, Jul 16, 2011
Ask a Question