boot password for linux

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by brandone, Sep 18, 2008.

1. brandone

brandone

I have not been able to find an answer to this doing a search so here is my problem. I was asked to set up a password when I first booted the One. That password works for the screensaver lock, setting up the WLAN etc, but I don't get asked for a password when I start the machine. I need it password protected for traveling. THANKS

brandone, Sep 18, 2008
  2. brandone

fredw

You want to enable the gdm login manger.

Borrowing from http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/08/06/acer-a ... nd-tricks/

Disabling autologin

Warning: Take caution when commenting out lines, and inserting new ones. The lack of a single character may render your system useless.
    Open the file named /etc/rc.d/rc.S and comment out the following line:

Code:
    /usr/bin/xinit -- -br>/dev/null 2>&1 &
    Like this:

Code:
    #/usr/bin/xinit -- -br>/dev/null 2>&1 &
    Below this line, insert the following:

Code:
    /usr/sbin/gdm
    And that’s that. The username is user and the password is whatever you set it to be during the installation.

fredw, Sep 18, 2008
  3. brandone

brandone

Thanks for the reply. I don't mean to seem so stupid, but how do you open the file? I have been learning linux on xubuntu, so things are a little different.

brandone, Sep 19, 2008
  4. brandone

Grim Squeaker

You can edit files with an editor. Mousepad is preinstalled and quite easy to use.

Alternatively you can set a boot-up password in the BIOS. Note that unless you have flashed to BIOS to the latest version, the password will be stored in ALL CAPS no matter how you type it.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 19, 2008
  5. brandone

brandone

Thanks Grim for your time. I need to learn how to do this edit thing before I can use your fix though...

brandone, Sep 19, 2008
  6. brandone

Grim Squeaker

Setting a boot password in the BIOS does not require an editor - just that you press F2 during bootup ;) The user manual is actually useful here.

To start mousepad just type mousepad in a terminal, or select it from the advanced menu :)

Grim Squeaker, Sep 20, 2008
  7. brandone

Bob D

#/usr/bin/xinit -- -br>/dev/null 2>&1 &
    /usr/sbin/gdm

When I do that, the machine won't boot, it just sits on the blue opening "Aspire One" screen forever.

In the original file, there are spaces at the start of the line /usr/bin/xinit -- -br>/dev/null 2>&1 &
    Should I keep the spaces, or do exactly as posted above?

Thanks, and yes I know only just enough about Linpus and Linux in general to be dangerous :)
    BD

Bob D, Sep 23, 2008
Ask a Question