Boot problems after ram install

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by fleong, Jan 7, 2009.

1. fleong

fleong

I had no end of problems with booting problems with occasionally the computer hanging during boot, stopping at this screen

For Realtek RTL810E/8102E PCI-Ethernet Controller v1.09 (080602)
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Or multiple cyclings to boot

Or just freezes (unable to move cursor, etc)

I did the macles bios reboot - and it helped - the first time for a few hours, then this whole thing restarted.
    I did a full restore - it helped for a few hours.

So I finally pulled out the 1 gig stick (Crucial PC2-4200 for the AAO part #CT868497), and for now it seems to be the culprit.

Any other similar experiences?
    F. Leong

fleong, Jan 7, 2009
  2. fleong

Tamrac

Usually it's just the cables not properly set when you put everything back together.... be very very careful on the seating of the flat cables. Good luck.

Tamrac, Jan 7, 2009
  3. fleong

joe90jnr

I agree, I had a devil of a job - all because I did not check the cables were in properly. Works fine now though.

Be careful with the (I think it is the ROM cable) cable on the right, you do not normally remove it and it is quite stiff, it may break if you do not take care :?

joe90jnr, Jun 23, 2009
  4. fleong

Robert Lake

I had exactly the same problem. I upgraded the RAM, on my Linux AAO 110, with the recommended Kingston 1 G. All worked well, and much faster. Then more than a month later, I got the problems. I have checked the cables over and over, but the only thing that seems to work is to take out the extra RAM.

Robert Lake, Jun 24, 2009
Ask a Question