boot problems

Discussion in 'Linux' started by amurphy96822, Mar 21, 2010.

1. amurphy96822

amurphy96822

New member looking for help; wife downloaded the UPS virus and her XP froze, would not boot; ok I learned about the alt-F10 option to reinstall windows, but she wanted to save all her pictures; so I learned about the netbook remix, prepared a sandisk 4gb stick to boot, using ubuntu tool, and downloaded the 9.10 (I think) remix, copied to stick and voila! it booted into demo and I was able to save all her pictures; did not want to install right away; few days later booted into demo and used gparted to shrink the win partition by about 4GB, thought I would do install later. But since then have been totally unable to boot into the remix, trying all options, changing some options etc.. So later I tried to boot from windows, using WUBI, but after a while got a message it could not find or load the install file. So I tried downloading the iso file again and copying to stick; no luck; tried on another laptop, same result. I am stumped, looking for help. Thanks and aloha.

amurphy96822, Mar 21, 2010
  2. amurphy96822

amurphy96822

Answering my own question. Apparently there is a difference between copying an image file to flash stick and burning it there; anyway, I went back in vista and reformated the stick, used the windows tool from the ubuntu webiste, then burned the image to it and now it works fine.

Wish I knew the technical difference.

amurphy96822, Mar 22, 2010
  3. amurphy96822

RockDoctor

Think of the disk as a file cabinet, each partition on the disk as a file drawer, and the individual file folders in each drawer as files in a partition. In one case you're copying individual files, in the other you're cloning the whole file cabinet. Cloning the whole file cabinet is like burning an image file to the flash stick.

RockDoctor, Mar 23, 2010
Ask a Question