Boot time on Linpus HDD version

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by vbrennan, Jul 31, 2008.

1. vbrennan

vbrennan

I'm thinking of getting the HDD Linpus edition next week (either 80GB or 120GB depending on which site you read). Is the boot time likely to be very fast (20 sec) still? I'm thinking of a dual boot with XP (or even tri boot with ubuntu for a while) as there may be other programs that will be of use to me. Will this be possible while keeping the fast boot time of the cut down Linpus? I know XP will be slower booting, that isn't a problem really as it'll be doing a different job. The fast start-up and shut-down times of the Linpus are very attractive and I wouldn't like to lose that. So, I guess I'm asking 2 questions:

1: Is the Linpus Lite on the HDD versions just as fast booting as the SSD?
    2: Is it possible to set up a dual-boot system on the HDD version (Linpus & Xp)?

Thanks for any help, I couldn't really find anything on boot times for the HDD on the site...

vbrennan, Jul 31, 2008
  2. vbrennan

KiNG

the ssd version boots in around 15-20seconds
    no one has the hard drive version yet, but i expect it wouldn't be far of that. Using the hard drive version for xp will be smoother.

When i eventally get mine i will be tri or quad booting :)

WinXP - my main system - pc repair i just need this :twisted: 90GB
    Linpus - keep everyone on the ball - 10GB
    Unbuntu - never used it so wanna try it out - 10GB
    OSX - Leapord - 10GB

After all it is a gadget :)

KiNG, Jul 31, 2008
  3. vbrennan

vbrennan

Great stuff! :D
    I better put my order in.

vbrennan, Jul 31, 2008
  4. vbrennan

vbrennan

So, the HDD version won't be out (at least where I am) for a while yet and I'm thinking of getting the SSD version now. Is it possible to dualboot XP with this. I think I read somewhere (probably on this site) that this can't be done or is, at least, quite difficult. XP isn't vital for me really but some old games and some other things would be nice for trips etc. I'll probably need a 8 or 16 gig SD card to give some space but can it be done at all?

vbrennan, Aug 6, 2008
Ask a Question