Bootable Pen Drive

Discussion in 'Windows' started by soujoy, Oct 22, 2008.

1. soujoy

soujoy

Hi!

I have been researching for a long time how to make a pendrive bootable. I tried many different ways/tools/utilities but none prevail. I downloaded "HP Drive Key Boot Utility", "HP USB Disk Storage Fromat Tool", i even tried to create a temporary floppy drive to create the bootsectors and then copy them through the cmd but this isnt working.

When i used the "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" the pendrive was bootable but only for flashing the BIOS on my AA1 A150. But when i tried to reinstall Windows XP it just sais that this isnt working in DOS. What i did was that i copied the "Unofficial Aspire One XP Recovery" to my pendrive after i did it bootable but damn its not working..

Does anyone have any ideas why this isnt working with XP on the pendrive? It does work to make it bootable with lots of other utilities like SMART, Memtest etc etc..

Cheers

soujoy, Oct 22, 2008
  2. soujoy

goofball

Getting XP to install from usb boot drive is not as simple as it seems. Have a look here if you're trying to do an actual XP install and not just a restore from Acer.

http://www.msfn.org/board/How-to-instal ... .html&st=6

If you have the restore CD and can create an ISO of it or an ISO of an actual Windows CD, invest in a U3 USB drive and then you can do this:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4704

goofball, Oct 22, 2008
  3. soujoy

Ace_TX

using the hp utility or active bootdook formatter is dos based

the last version of windows that used dos were 98/me

xp uses an nt bootloader thats why you can't do it that way

Ace_TX, Oct 22, 2008
  4. soujoy

atomic

atomic, Oct 23, 2008
Ask a Question