Booting from SD slot

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Grinder, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Grinder

Grinder

I can't find a setting in the BIOS that allows me to boot from either of the SD slots. Is it actually possible that either or even both of the slots are not supported as boot devices in the BIOS or am I just missing something here? It seems absurd to have to use an external USB card reader to boot from when there are not one but two slots built into the system....

Grinder, Aug 25, 2008
  2. Grinder

janss

If you had searched the forum, I would have found all the other threads that would've told you "no, it is not possible".

janss, Aug 25, 2008
  3. Grinder

Grinder

Sigh - I love it when ppl know everything.... thanks for the help. I DID search the forums without finding the info I needed so I posted looking for some more details. Is it possible that a new BIOS will allow for booting off the internal slots? Is there some sort of work around? I guess it was silly of me to assume that a new lappy would support booting off the SD slot. I figured since my Asus did the AA1 would as well...

Grinder, Aug 25, 2008
  4. Grinder

rbil

The limitation is within the BIOS. It might be possible to do if one could setup grub to offer a bootup from the SD, but Linpus on the Acer is custom built. A Linux guru could probably work around this.

Cheers.

rbil, Aug 25, 2008
  5. Grinder

Grinder

Thanks rbil for the info - I suspected the BIOS was the issue but I'm unsure if there is a hardware limitation that prevents the BIOS from allowing boot access or if it just hasn't been implemented yet.

Oh and janss after spending an hour and a half looking around I did find more info on the forums regarding the inability to boot from the SD slot. Problem is I'm not going to spend and hour and a half each time trying to find the info I need. If a few searchs don't give me the info I need I'm going to ask for help.... if that's a problem then flame on....

Grinder, Aug 25, 2008
  6. Grinder

janss

I'm not trying to be rude to you dude, it's just that there's like 10 threads about this issue and it's been discussed from back to forth and left to right. There's also no point on doing the same discussion in all the 10+ threads, but rather have one with all the information.

edit: And I have also noticed that the search function sucks pretty badly and it's not that easy to find stuff from there. My intention was not to be rude or flame you (which would be a bit weird behavior from a mod..), but to let you know that this issue has allready been extensively discussed here before.

janss, Aug 25, 2008
  7. Grinder

Guest Guest

I've tried to track the same information as grinder--as others will in the
    future. You can have greater or less success finding stuff, depending on how well
    your search terms match the wording of previous discussions. The discussions
    are often unclear or inconclusive.

There is going to be lot of people--beginners-- finding their way to this forum
    all with some aspect of the question of how to manage the recovery disk, perhaps
    without having to buy a USB DVD drive. Many will be unfamiliar with Linux, and are
    perplexed by the instructions that come with the recovery disk.

Thanks for the information about the slot.
    Glad I saved the box it came in.

Guest, Aug 25, 2008
  8. Grinder

Grinder

No worries. I understand what you are saying and I realize a lot of ppl are either to lazy or just don't have enough experience with forums to know to do a search. Problem is if your search isn't worded quite right and depending on the crappyness of the search engine the info doesn't always show up.

Grinder, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question