Booting from SD slot

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by dboy, Sep 9, 2008.

1. dboy

dboy

Has anyone tried installing an OS on the SD card slot on the left? Does the BIOS support booting from it? or would you need a boot partition on the hard drive to boot and OS loaded on the SD slot?

i would like to install and run Ubuntu from an SDHC card.

dboy, Sep 9, 2008
  2. dboy

melhiore

There is no booting from SD slot in AA1... You can find couple of questions about this on this forum...

melhiore, Sep 9, 2008
  3. dboy

blackhawk

It's possible, I did it! Using grub installed on SSD FAT32 filesystem, I can boot Linpus on 4GB SDHC. The steps almost same as my guide on 'Installing Linpus on USB' (in Multi Booting thread) but you need a modified initrd to load SD/MMC kernel module.

blackhawk, Sep 9, 2008
  4. dboy

melhiore

That's interesting :) But only possible when you have GRUB/Linux installed. In case of Windows powered machines it's not that easy...

melhiore, Sep 9, 2008
  5. dboy

nubious

Technically, couldn't you load grub for SD Card booting yet still be using windows? Would anyone be able to post a guide for this? You can indeed use Grub as a Windows bootloader as well..

nubious, Sep 10, 2008
  6. dboy

jacku

Is that MB limitation??? But I so hope this is do-able like the eeepc!!!

jacku, Sep 12, 2008
  7. dboy

acerj

BlackHawk,

Can you PLEASE post detailed instructions to do that ? many people are looking for this option . Especially instructions for initrd

acerj, Sep 12, 2008
  8. dboy

Kraegor

The problem that most people don't realize is that in order to boot from a device, that device must be controlled by the bios. Otherwise it is not a "true" boot. The SD Card readers on there are not a function of the bios, they have drivers that run them through Linux and Windows. So until a bios update comes out, you will never "truly" be able to boot from a SD card.

The people that are booting from SD cards now are still running through a Linux shell that pre-loads for them to boot, it is not a true boot. Any viruses, corruption etc on the original hard drive could still affect a boot disk, because it accesses the hard drive first.

Don't believe me? Take out your hard drive and see if you can boot to a SD card.

Bios Update is whats needed unfortunately.

Kraegor, Sep 12, 2008
  9. dboy

nubious

Good info, and it puts it into perspective!

Thanks for the heads up.. Now.. Let's rally and get Acer to release an update! ;)

nubious, Sep 12, 2008
  10. dboy

rbil

What Kraegor fails to point out is that once a Linux box boots, it completely takes over all BIOS routines and the BIOS isn't used at all. In fact, all the BIOS needs to do is get to an MBR on a disk and from there it's the software that does the rest in terms of booting. Setting up Grub to dual boot is as much of a "real boot" as any other boot. :) That's true of Linux and Windoze.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 13, 2008
  11. dboy

snowwy66

i've tried installing vista on a usb drive. vista can detect but no option to do anything with it. same with xp. can't get it do a format to begin installing. you can transfer to usb to install that way. but you can't install to have an actual working usb drive. i've had linux boot from usb but windows won't install. and it don't mater what service pack you have injected. to either vista or xp.

snowwy66, Sep 13, 2008
  12. dboy

v1ck

v1ck, Sep 13, 2008
  13. dboy

tot31

tot31, Sep 13, 2008
  14. dboy

RockDoctor

You wouldn't happen to have a modified initrd lying around that you could post some place for those of us who want to give this a shot, would you? I know this would be greatly appreciated

RockDoctor, Sep 14, 2008
  15. dboy

imarune

Hum! tell me why it's so funny booting from SD: it's possible, check v1ck's post just above; but (linux or $ms, don't bother) you MUST have a bootable device (SSD, USB stick) with a standard MBR, and you'll never get a poor OS (like xp) working well on such a device ( I mean SD card) ;)

imarune, Sep 14, 2008
  16. dboy

blackhawk

Please read viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2741&p=18193#p18193

blackhawk, Sep 15, 2008
  17. dboy

ghost2212

does anyone know if there will be a bios update soon that you can boot from sd? :?

ghost2212, Nov 16, 2008
  18. dboy

Muzafsh

I have an aspire laptop with the option to boot from MMC card set into its bios.

It has a 'USB Key' option (along with 'USB HDD' and 'USB FDD' boot options) under bios boot options which picks up the MMC/SD memory card when one is inserted in the built in Memory Card slots.

Can the same be achieved on a AOA150 ZG5 ???

Its such a 'MISS' especially for the fact that a ZG5 has two Memory Card slots.

Its a Shame :(

Any modds possible to achieve this ?
    ;(

PS : A 2 GB mod and mmc boot mod are the most elusive/impossible mods on an otherwise machine which enabled so many other mods on it !!! :) ...

Muzafsh, Mar 15, 2011
Ask a Question