Bought D250-What to do next?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Rick88, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Rick88

Rick88

Hello: I've just purchased a second hand D250 6 cell w/ win7 starter. AA1 appeared to be very little used. So the question is what to do next? A system back, yes. What about a Bios upgrade/update? I saw the updates on the Acer site but it cautioned about updating w/o direct recomendations. What other recomendations before I start an serios net surfing? :?: My primary use will be as a travel and field computer(work).

Rick88, Jan 29, 2011
  2. Rick88

donec

I would not upgrade the bios unless something related to the bios doesn't work.

1. Is to create a good backup of the system.

2. Go through and delete all the stuff the previous owner left that you don't want.

3. Maybe it would be good to defrag the system.

4.Then get Glary Utilities, to try and be sure your computer is clean of all the things the previous owner did, from....
    http://www.glaryutilities.com/
    it is free for personal use and works quite well. I have Win 7 Home Premium and use it in the 1-Click Maintenance mode to clean up errors in all the areas listed. sometimes I need to run it more than once to get a clean bill of health. Seems some problems are hidden by other problems so the don't get shown until the first ones are fixed. I have used it for years and have never had a problem with it messing anything up.

5. Make a restore point.

6. Then make another backup so your backup is as clean as your system.

donec, Jan 29, 2011
  3. Rick88

Rick88

Thanks for the help. Will the Glary utilities defrag?
    What about a different anti virus? I've been using AVG FREE for years and have been satisfied.

Rick88, Jan 29, 2011
  4. Rick88

donec

It won't defrag the disk but it does have a feature to defrag the register but I have never used it. Windows 7 Home has a defrag tool but I don't know about Win7 starter.
    I used to use AVG Free also but it started slowing stuff down so I switched to Avast!.

donec, Jan 30, 2011
  5. Rick88

Faraday

make sure u have no nasty surprises like viruses or trojans on there

Faraday, Feb 12, 2011
  6. Rick88

Acer-PR

WARNING: Avoid Bio upgrade/update !

1. Back up and Create system restore point. (immediately)
    2. Anti virus programs usually slow up your computer. Avast slows up your computer more than AVG.
    3. Update your system at Microsoft update. If your using Mozilla broswer, you need to use IE to update @ Microsoft.

The following will clean up, maintain and "speed up" your D250. I do it everytime i get "off" or get "on" the internet. You can also do it while you're surfing the net if you notice your system running "slow"

4. Hard Disk Cleanup:(Daily):
    A. Check all boxes except the "Download" box.

5. Defragment Hard Disk.(Once a month)
    A. clik "Analyze"
    B. clik "Defragment"

6. Clean up "Prefetch":(Daily):
    A. Clik "Start" and then "Run"
    B. Type the word "Prefetch" (w/out quote symbols)
    C. Select all and delete.

7. If you're using "Internet Explorer" clean the browser: (Daily):
    A. clik "Tools"
    B. clik "Internet Options"
    C. clik "Delete Cookies"
    D. clik "Delete Files"
    E. clik "Clear History"

8. If you're using "Mozilla", clean the browser:(Daily)
    A. clik on "Tools"
    B. clik on "Clear Recent History"
    C. select "Everything"

Note: Use your "Favorites" to save specific webpages. Every now and then revise your "Favorite Pages" and delete any no longer used sites as a favorite.

9. Avoid having programs open automatically at "Startup", the following will help speed up the startup of your operating system:
    A. clik "Start"
    B. clik "Run"
    C. type "MSCONFIG"
    D. clik "Startup" tab
    E. clik "Disable All"
    F. clik "Apply"
    G. clik "Close"
    H. clik "Restart"

Good Luck !

Acer-PR, Feb 17, 2011
Ask a Question