Brand new to aspire one Netbooks

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by shan, Jan 3, 2009.

1. shan

shan

Hi
    I'm looking at buying the the Acer aspire one from Asda.http://direct.asda.com/Blue-Acer-Aspire ... lt,pd.html
    I've never used Linux before so just a question will it be ok for me.
    I will only be useing the aspire one for MSM messenger with camera, Surfing the web and storing photo's etc.
    I've heard that i may have an issue getting connected to the wifi with my BT Broadband.
    Any idea's ????

shan, Jan 3, 2009
  2. shan

noobeeJF

Hi Shan, i got the 8gig Acer running Linux bout 3 weeks ago (first time Linux user) and it goes like a dream, i also have BT broadband and other than entering the key number on back of modem, exactly as i did on my Windows laptop, the wi-fi works a dream....
    let it run its 'Live Updates' straight from the box usually first this takes a few hours (apparently servers pretty busy at mo presumably owing to high volume bought over christmas..) tho so dont forget to plug it in to charge, and once rebooted and the above number added wi-fi connects straight away. no problems at all this end.
    i havent installed MSN on mine yet, as a fairly basic IM programme is allready installed and apart from the lact of smillies, works perfectly.
    they really are great little machines and highly recommended :mrgreen:

noobeeJF, Jan 3, 2009
  3. shan

Rapax

Should be a breeze. MSN messenger is supported by the pre-installed messenger program. Surfing the web is just Firefox, like you know it from windows, and storing photos is...well...storing photos; how hard can it be?

Can't say much about BT broadband, but the wifi works smoothly for me. I haven't changed wireless related since taking it out of the box, and I've yet to find an Access Point I couldn't connect to.

And when you do run into some confusion, there's tons of other users online willing to help you out. Just keep in mind that this is not just a different version of Windows, but a totally different operating system, where many things are done differently from windows. There will undoubtably be a bit of a learning curve, but if you go at it with an open mind, it shouldn't be anything to hard. Heck, even I managed.

Rapax, Jan 3, 2009
  4. shan

shan

Thanks for the replys guy's. I will call into my local asda tomorrow and pick one up as they have them in stock. Not shown on website as being in stock but i was looking at them today.
    I'm sure it will do the job nicely.

shan, Jan 3, 2009
Ask a Question