Breakout on Linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by csmo, Nov 7, 2008.

1. csmo

csmo

This is probably just a trivial question (I hope), but I can't get Gnome Breakout to work on Linpus and can't find anything Breakoutish in the repositories ("yum search breakout" gives me nothing). I love playing Breakout so I would be most grateful if any of you could point me in the right direction. Any good suggestion for a repository to add or otherwise any info on how to get a Breakout game to work on Linpus? I have already added Livna to my repositories.

csmo, Nov 7, 2008
  2. csmo

kapinouwi

try search breakout in the add/remove apps

kapinouwi, Nov 7, 2008
  3. csmo

csmo

Did that already. Nothing. Thanks anyway.

csmo, Nov 7, 2008
  4. csmo

kapinouwi

maybe with lbreakout2 ;)

kapinouwi, Nov 7, 2008
  5. csmo

csmo

Merci beaucoup pour votre assistance, mon ami! :)

I still couldn't find anything under add/remove applications (why not?), but a "sudo yum install lbreakout2" did wonders.

Thanks a bunch, kapinouwi!

csmo, Nov 7, 2008
  6. csmo

kapinouwi

un frenchy aussi??? :)

de nada amigo!

kapinouwi, Nov 7, 2008
  7. csmo

csmo

Hehe, thanks for your kind words, I'm sure, but I do not speak French at all. Just tried to show some courtesy since your profile says you're from France. Salute, my friend. I hope that means cheers. :D

csmo, Nov 7, 2008
  8. csmo

kapinouwi

yes! :)

thanks!

kapinouwi, Nov 7, 2008
  9. csmo

csmo

Just an update here in case someone else fancies the breakout games genre. I found a bug/show stopper in the lbreakout2 game. At one level (I think it was level 13 or 16 but not sure) if you miss some special power coming from one of the bricks you cannot advance to the next level or even re-start that same level no matter how many lives you have left. Needless to say I uninstalled the game.

In my search for a better one I found "ballbuster". Ouch! :shock: Despite its dubious name it is quite painless to play and bears no resemblance to the Nutcracker ballet either. Seriously, ballbuster is a brilliant little gem with nice graphics and sound. It´s worth a try.

csmo, Dec 2, 2008
  10. csmo

fizikz

I successfully installed Ball: Buster, but it won't run, giving this error message: "Your system currently is not capable of hardware accelerated 3D. Therefore ballbuster cannot run. Usually the cause of this error is that there are no Free Software drivers for your graphics card, please contact your graphics card manufacturer and kindly ask them to provide Free Software support for your card."

I'm not sure what I can do about that. I have even installed updated drivers as described here: http://aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2481

EDIT: I found out my 3d drivers weren't loading. I fixed that and now the game runs. Unfortunately, I didn't see a way to play the game with the keyboard, and using the trackpad to control the paddle is quite difficult. But it works.

fizikz, Dec 25, 2008
  11. csmo

csmo

Glad to hear from another breakout fellow out there and good to hear you got it sorted eventually. :)

Yeah, I think most Breakout games I´ve ever tried never really worked well without a joystick (or later, a mouse). Using the keyboard (not to mention the touchpad!) for these kinda games can be a real challenge.

csmo, Dec 30, 2008
Ask a Question