Bricked it, Macles Recovery not working :(

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by ivanhoe, Aug 1, 2009.

1. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

At the end of updating to the most recent bios in the normal way, my AAO ZG5 turned off and has appeared to be dead ever since.

I've followed the Macles Bios Recovery procedure to the letter may time but the power button light and all other lights stay off.

I've tried the variation where the battery is removed and when I put the power lead in the power button light does glow for about a second, but that is the only life I've managed to see. But after releasing all the buttons, the power button light does glow at all, nor does the LED on the USB stick.

Is there anything else left to try?

ivanhoe, Aug 1, 2009
  2. ivanhoe

jerryt

You can pay to have the bios chip replaced, or change the motherboard.

jerryt, Aug 1, 2009
  3. ivanhoe

redline135

You have any sites that you recommend for replacing the bios chip.. The mobo I have found on ebay but would prefer a more solid company.

I have the same issue as ivanhoe.

Thanks.

redline135, Aug 28, 2009
  4. ivanhoe

jerryt

I recently replaced the Bios chip on one of these dead motherboard and it did not fix the problem, so I would recommend a new motherboard.

Bios chip replacement is only for times when the bios flashing process went bad, either the wrong file or the process was interupted.

@ Redline 135 Do you get the flashing light on the power switch during the Macles Bios Recovery?

jerryt, Aug 28, 2009
  5. ivanhoe

redline135

@jarryt: Yes I do. If I just push the power button the light is solid green, if I hold fn + esc and the power button; it blinks green. Strange part is that I have yet to see the USB stick flash. I assume that would mean its reading from the stick and executing the bios update. Its never worked though, and I have been through many variations of usb sticks to even trying a complete battery drain (One user apparently had success that way).

Thanks.

PS.. I did look at new and used motherboards for the AAO and at 100 to 250 bucks its almost no worth it. You can get a new one for about the same price ( or 50 to 100 more ). Not vary cost effective.. ;)

redline135, Aug 28, 2009
  6. ivanhoe

jerryt

After FN, ESC, and the power button are released, and power button is flashing, press the power button again once to start the fllash.

Flash drive must be formated in Fat, and bios file needs to be renamed.

jerryt, Aug 28, 2009
  7. ivanhoe

redline135

Is there any particular timing involved? I know I have my usb stick formated FAT 16, I have the correct files on the flash drive. But when I execute the sequence you describe I get nothing. Just a blinking power lite, the fan is on and the usb sticks activity light is on but NOT blinking. I can wait all day but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks for your replies and help by the way.

redline135, Aug 28, 2009
  8. ivanhoe

jerryt

You must have battery and AC power attached or Macles Bios Recovery will not start...

@ Reline135,
    What was the event which happen before the failure to post?

Bios flash?

Dead battery?

Usb device removal?

jerryt, Aug 28, 2009
Ask a Question