Brightness level question for owners

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by creepinchi, Feb 22, 2009.

1. creepinchi

creepinchi

I like my brightness level set to the lowest setting. However, when I restart Windows it does not retain this setting. I always have to turn the brightness down after a reboot or power-on.

Has anyone else experienced their settings not being retained?

Thanks!

creepinchi, Feb 22, 2009
  2. creepinchi

savydad

mine does the same, and seems to do it coming out of sleep and hibernate. this is my first laptop in years so I'm still fairly pleased with its performance. 8 hours battery life I got thursday in school! that's just amazing compared to most other notebooks around, even ones with ginormous batteries.

savydad, Feb 22, 2009
  3. creepinchi

jychow

maybe we have to wait for next BIOS update to correct this issue.

My D150 also exhibits this behavior. :cry:

jychow, Feb 23, 2009
  4. creepinchi

teh_qube

is this all while plugged in or when running on battery?

teh_qube, Feb 23, 2009
  5. creepinchi

creepinchi

For those of you who are experiencing this problem, do you have Launch Manager disabled?

I had disabled LManager.exe because I didn't want an additional app taking up memory. When I re-enabled this app my machine remembered the brightness setting.

creepinchi, Feb 23, 2009
  6. creepinchi

jychow

Hi guys, to rectify the brightness issue, just download Bios version 1.03 and flash it.

The original bios was 1.01 and now my aao is great. :)

jychow, Mar 1, 2009
  7. creepinchi

creepinchi

Thanks! I also noticed they have a new trackpad driver that I installed as well.

creepinchi, Mar 2, 2009
  8. creepinchi

jychow

what improvement does the new trackpad driver provide? care to give us an idea? TQ ;)

jychow, Mar 2, 2009
  9. creepinchi

creepinchi

It suppose to have better a response to multi-finger touch which is suppose to help with the pinch function.

In addtion to horizontal flipping, they added vertical flipping in the advanced gestures.

I haven't really noticed much difference.

creepinchi, Mar 2, 2009
  10. creepinchi

jychow

Thanks for your quick reply.

Tried to download the new driver but the connection was too slow. Do you know where else I can download?

It seems that the newer driver is only available in Acer Europe website.... :?

jychow, Mar 3, 2009
  11. creepinchi

creepinchi

I downloaded it from their pan america site. It looks like that site is having problems right now....

creepinchi, Mar 3, 2009
  12. creepinchi

Plastikman

Slightly OT, yet not...

I used my 10" outside today in direct sunlight today(hit 80 today after being 20 all ast week).

I thought Oh man this is going to suck... blipped the brightness up and .. wow i can see crystal clear.

My main laptop would be washed out about now.. Chalk another point up for this sweet litte toy...

Plastikman, Mar 6, 2009
  13. creepinchi

jychow

My brightness control is doesn't work very well. When AAO is connected to AC, I shut down and hibernate the AAO and the brightness setting is saved. Then i unplug the AC and let it run on battery. When I shut down and restart / hibernate and resume, it will remember the setting of the time when it is connected to AC, NOT when it is on battery. It is very funny. :shock:

I "set" the brightness setting then AAO will roll back to the setting I saved...... really puzzling.

BTW, I think the installation of "batteryBar" by Osiris Development might have screwed it up some how. Anybody has tried this combination? My AAO is on Bios version 1.05.

If all else fail, then restoration is the only way to go because I thought Bios 1.03 already solved the brighness issue. Anyway, any input is greatly appreciated. TQ

jychow, Mar 9, 2009
  14. creepinchi

creepinchi

I thought launch manager fixed my problem, but I think it was because it was plugged in and not running off of the battery.

I'm still experiencing the brightness setting problem as well.

creepinchi, Mar 9, 2009
  15. creepinchi

oh_johny

There is a setting in the registry that keeps resetting the brightness & contrast to the default values. I was having the same problem with my "schemes" being reset on every reboot. I deleted the registry key and now it works fine. I can't recall the name of the key though, but if anyone wants to post the contents of the registry key(s) under Hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\currentversion\run - I can tell you which key it was that I deleted. If you don't know how to edit your registry, don't mess with it. If you screw it up, you can hose windows so bad, it has to be reinstalled.

Intel might have a registry fix available on their website.

After I deleted the key, I setup 2 schemes in the intel graphics settings panel, 1 for daytime, and 1 for nightime. They work like a champ, now I can perch this computer on my chest and surf the web in bed, just have to be careful I don't spill my drink.

oh_johny, Mar 12, 2009
  16. creepinchi

jychow

Thanks for your input.

But in the registry you mentioned, there is no current version under microsoft's string. Can you please verify? TQ

jychow, Mar 12, 2009
  17. creepinchi

oh_johny

Sorry I omitted a level, the key is at:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

oh_johny, Mar 12, 2009
  18. creepinchi

jychow

Here is d image file. Hope you can guide us to solve the problem. TQ
    [attachment=0:2uhx3tmp]Registry-D150.JPG[/attachment:2uhx3tmp]

jychow, Mar 12, 2009
  19. creepinchi

oh_johny

It should be the one labeled persistence. Backup your registry first. In the registry editor , select file, export, make sure all is selected) and save the current registry somewhere where you can find it again if you need to restore it.

Then delete the key "Persistence"

exit registry and reboot, try changing your scheme and see if it now stays where you set it, when you reboot.

I'm 99.9% sure that is the key I changed/deleted, but backup your registry as suggested and you can restore it if you
    have problems.

Its been working great for me.

oh_johny, Mar 16, 2009
  20. creepinchi

oh_johny

I just tested deleting the persistence key on a friends Aspire one and it worked like a champ. The thing to remember when setting schemes is
    1. make the changes in the "color corrections" tab
    2. apply them (they must be applied or you can't save the scheme)
    3. click the "scheme options" button, name the scheme and save it.
    4. now it should appear in your list (under "select scheme") when you double click or right click the intel graphics applet in the
    right hand system tray.

Let me know if you need more directions, but it is pretty straightforward after you do it a couple of times.

oh_johny, Mar 16, 2009
Ask a Question