broadband dongle

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by t-pot, Dec 26, 2008.

1. t-pot

t-pot

Hello, found the site by accident while trying to find an answer.

I have just bought my wife an aspire one netbook running linux,

my first experience with linux, and not very computer literate anyway. i want to be able to use a 3g or simular dongle so we can have internet anywhere.

is this possible, as the salesman in comet, just told me its not (forgot to mention this when i purchased the damn thing)

is there a dongle i can purchase that will work with ease? or is there something an idiot (me) can do to make it work?

thanks for any help you may be able to offer

t-pot, Dec 26, 2008
  2. t-pot

t-pot

WOW

no one knows eh?

t-pot, Dec 26, 2008
  3. t-pot

melhiore

There is no response 'cause you asking question explained in this forum many times - I think people are just bored responding again and again to the same... Try to use SEARCH and ask about 3G modems - little clue: E220 Huawei. Look also at this section: http://aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

melhiore, Dec 26, 2008
  4. t-pot

t-pot

OK, thanks for your reply.

I have followed your links, and thats helped a lot.
    BUT when i run live updates, it takes HOURS and the one i want the update Huawei etc, is not selected, and it wont allow me to select it, so how do i get the mobile partner programe to download to where it should be?

I have to say, so far im impressed by the aspire one, but totally un impressed by linux.

maybe a case of not knowing it well enough yet, it just seems so restricted

t-pot, Dec 27, 2008
  5. t-pot

OneLadyOwner

Hello t-pot, I managed to get 3G running with LINUX, and so have many other AA1 users.

I treated it as a project, and wrote down everything useful in the forum before starting. See Networking and the 3g/HSPDA sub forum, which I used as my starting point. I also found a very good article in www.johnblackmore.com. "Acer Aspire One finally supports 3 Network Huawei E220 Modem
    Author: whitepug 2"

I went to an internet cafe and the live update and installations did indeed take more than one hour. The AA1 seemed to select everything.

OneLadyOwner, Dec 27, 2008
  6. t-pot

t-pot

ok, can anyone please help me here?

i have the mobile partner now, i have a e160g dongle, but no browsing.
    if i connect via mobile partner, it says connected, but i cant use browser

i appreciate this has been asked before, but have you tried a search? the results are so conflicting to a newbiee its scary

i just want a few minutes of someone time, to let me know where im going wrong, and how to solve it please

t-pot, Dec 28, 2008
  7. t-pot

OneLadyOwner

Hello, I am online with 3g right now. I found 2 good tips that you could try: always switch on and start up with the dongle already plugged in, and disable the green 3 connect disk. The dongle is both a USB modem and a "memory stick", and this can confuse LINUX.

You need to go into File Maneger where you may see My Disk and 3 Connect. Dismount 3 connect by clicking on the green circle on the right.

OneLadyOwner, Dec 28, 2008
  8. t-pot

t-pot

thanks for the reply lady

i have looked there now, and i only have aspire one and desktop manager, nothing for 3

t-pot, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question