Broken keyboard tabs - best solultion?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by ihartley, Apr 30, 2009.

1. ihartley

ihartley

Hi there,

Managed to spill 1/2l of water over my AAO last week. In my haste to get the keyboard off to dry it out I snapped the two end retaining tabs.... :cry: What's the best bodge??? Velco, sticky tape or ......??

On the plus side I got a new keyboard for £13 within 2 days and everything works as new now. Probably a quick response in pulling the battery helped :D And that the keyboard has tray "edges" to catch and keep some of the water.

TIA

ihartley, Apr 30, 2009
  2. ihartley

ihartley

Anyone??? Are you telling me NO-ONE on this forum has trashed their tabs.

Praise you, oh mighty ones!! :D :lol:

ihartley, May 3, 2009
  3. ihartley

droctii

Did that tonight when I did the 1GB upgrade.

Solution: Thin 3M double-sided tape. Place little strips under the same spots as the old tabs and press down to secure.

Hope this helps you

droctii, Jun 1, 2009
  4. ihartley

libssd

My AA1 just started to develop the dreaded flaky trackpad button syndrome. I'd like to pop the keyboard and reseat the connectors, but so far I haven't been able to figure out how to pry it loose. It looks like there are tabs above the F2, F8, and Ins keys, as well as on either side. What is the secret?

libssd, Jun 3, 2009
  5. ihartley

JerryP

Look at the various RAM upgrade instuctions. They'll also explain how to remove the touchpad cable.

JerryP, Jun 3, 2009
  6. ihartley

libssd

Well, even with the benefit of a video of the process, I bollixed it, trashing the socket for the keyboard ribbon cable. I'm pretty good at following instructions and disassembling things, but in this case I got in over my head. The irony is that I might have been able to do what was needed just by pushing on the trackpad ribbon cable connector, without trying to remove the keyboard (the right trackpad key seems to work reliably now). :cry:

The computer was a gift, and I have a full backup, so I'm out neither money nor data, but I'm afraid I now have an irreparably dead AA1. Anybody want to make an offer for salvage parts? AA1 with 1gb RAM, 16 GB flash drive, 6-cell battery, otherwise in good condition.

libssd, Jun 3, 2009
  7. ihartley

libssd

I contacted Acer about a possible repair today, and the answer was unbelievable: $449 + parts. That's right -- a minimum charge of $449 to repair a $300 computer. I think I'm going to buy a HP 110 Mini Mi when they are released.

libssd, Jun 5, 2009
  8. ihartley

ihartley

There are lots of companies selling working parts from broken stock (and individuals too). I've seem the main MOBO for around £60-70, so if the broken part is identified you should be able to get a cheap fix. As I said, £13 for a new keyboard, couldn't even imagine what Acer might want....

Next part I break I'm just going to buy a new one for spares ;-)

ihartley, Jun 6, 2009
  9. ihartley

libssd

Too bad you're in the UK, or I would say "make me an offer."

I can get a new AA1 150 10" for an excellent price, so I'm planning to "part out" my 6-month old AA1 110. 16gb flash drive, 1 gb RAM, everything in excellent condition except for the lack of a working keyboard. It works just fine for web surfing, as long as you don't have to type anything!

$150 with 4400 6-cell battery; $100 without battery. All original packaging intact.

Personal message me, if interested, or e-mail: [email protected].

libssd, Jun 10, 2009
Ask a Question