Brother printer setup

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by pwmd, Sep 24, 2008.

1. pwmd

pwmd

Hi All,

I've had my One for a week now and am very pleased with it. Hopefully this is the start of my migration from Windoze but there is one thing I can't set up and that is my Brother DCP-340CW wireless printer. I have downloaded the drivers (MFC-210C) from brother but can't figure out what do do with them. I have read various posts about different Brother printers and tried the suggestions for installing them, but still no print. If I can get this working I will be as happy as a pig in sh1t, with the One doing everything I need. If someone could do a 'blow by blow' account of the correct installation sequence, or provide any information specific to this printer, I would be very grateful.
    Thanks
    Peter

pwmd, Sep 24, 2008
  2. pwmd

JoaoMachado

Hi Peter, I will try to help you out here, I have a Brother HL2070N printing from my AAO with Linpus with no problems.

First, I am going to assume that it being a wireless printer that it is connecting to a wireless router on your home network?
    If that is the case, I recommend you set the printer to a fixed IP address instead of using DHCP ( this will be the most reliable setup)

Once, you have the printer setup with a fixed IP address, next you need to install the drivers you downloaded...

Linpus, uses CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) The driver was made for the LPR printing system, so we have to work around that;
    One you must install the LPR driver, then you have to install the "wrapper" for CUPS to recognize the driver, so you have a "two step" operation.
    http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/instruction_prn1a.html Click on this link for some good info..
    You will also need to have root access to install the drivers from the command line.

go to the folder where you downloaded the drivers, right click in the window and "Open Termianl Here" and install the LRP driver using the following command:
    Next install the Cups Wrapper ( which you need to have downloaded as well) using the same command;
    Restart the pc

Next, if the printer is setup with a fixed IP address, you should be able to access the printer directly by typing the IP address
    into your web browser, such as 192.168.1.12 etc. By doing that, it should be able to access the "Network Configuration", and look for what the Node name is, ie something like BRN_788472, write it down.

Now you can go into the Settings >Printer and add a new printer.

You will set up the printer using IPP protocol, enter the IP address for HOST NAME and the Node name for PRINTER NAME, but add at the end "_p1", so in my case, it would be BRN_788472_p1.

Next, go through, and select your driver from the list, and what ever else it asks you, then run a test page.

Hopet his helps..

Joao

JoaoMachado, Sep 25, 2008
  3. pwmd

pwmd

Thanks for the quick response JOAO. I will try it tonight hopefully and let you know how I get on. Cheers

pwmd, Sep 25, 2008
  4. pwmd

pwmd

Well - I think the drivers have gone in ok but I still can't print from tha AAO. I set the printer to a fixed IP address as suggested, but when I type it into the browser it cannot connect. I tried it on my main PC and it does not connect either, although it prints OK. Any ideas.
    Thanks

pwmd, Sep 25, 2008
  5. pwmd

Duncan_Rowland

Just a guess, but could you use LPD instead? (I couldn't get ipp working for my canon attached to a wifi print server, but lpd worked fine). Instructions for this are here (and short): viewtopic.php?f=5&t=880
    Best, -Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Sep 25, 2008
  6. pwmd

JoaoMachado

Duncan, has a good suggestion, also read the steps on the link of my post from Brother.
    Try configuring the printer using CUPS (http://localhost:631/printers) from your web browser.

I just realized that your printer is a Multi-function, I remember my MF420CN, did not have a web interface as well, which would explain
    why you can't access it.

I just remembered that I had to add the ip address to the printcap file, can't remember how I did it though?

Also, try the generic node name:
    Try- IPP://192.XXX.XXX.XXX/binary_p1

Keep trying, you will get it, also the Brother web site is a wealth of information..

Good luck,
    Joao

JoaoMachado, Sep 26, 2008
  7. pwmd

pwmd

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.
    When I tried http://localhost:631/printers I got the message MFC210C "/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp failed"
    I have tried to update cups but it could not find any matches to update
    ipp://192.xxx.xxx.xxx/binary_p1 fails to connect

It's not a big deal, the AAO does what I bought it for i.e. when travelling. Printing would be a bonus, and you don't get many of those these days.

Regards
    Peter

pwmd, Sep 26, 2008
  8. pwmd

JoaoMachado

First, you should update CUPS:

First update Fedora Release
    Code:
    sudo yum update fedora-release

Then update CUPS:

Code:
    sudo yum update cups

Joao

JoaoMachado, Sep 27, 2008
  9. pwmd

JoaoMachado

Edit your CUPS config file

Code:
    sudo mousepad /etc/cups/printers.conf

Here is a look at my config file:
    Code:
    # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.3
    # Written by cupsd on 2008-09-21 11:02
    <DefaultPrinter HL2070N>
    Info Laser
    Location Home
    DeviceURI ipp://192.168.15.104/BRN_788472_P1
    State Idle
    StateTime 1222012974
    Accepting Yes
    Shared Yes
    JobSheets none none
    QuotaPeriod 0
    PageLimit 0
    KLimit 0
    OpPolicy default
    ErrorPolicy stop-printer
    </Printer>
    I think that is all know about CUPS and brother printers... :?

JoaoMachado, Sep 27, 2008
  10. pwmd

pwmd

Success!. Thanks for all your help guys. After updating Fedora Release and then cups I now have the LPD option in printer setup, which is working fine. Previously I tried http://localhost:631 - manage printers - modify printer - which looked promising until it asked for a username and password for cups and I couldn't go any further.
    Regards
    Peter

pwmd, Sep 28, 2008
  11. pwmd

JoaoMachado

Great, glad to hear it, if you ever need the user name and password, it is "root" and what ever password you created during the AcerOne initial install.

Cheers.

Joao

JoaoMachado, Oct 13, 2008
  12. pwmd

cottonwood

This item solved my printing problem as well. I was trying to print to an HP Color Laserjet 2605dn. I needed to use either the LPD or SOCKET drivers, neither of which were installed. After updating fedora-release and then cups as suggested above, I was able to use the Socket cups driver to print to this printer. Thanks.

cottonwood, Jan 12, 2009
  13. pwmd

jtolli

I am trying to install drivers for my Brother mFC-440CN, which is a printer installaed on my network. I downloaded the drivers from the Brother website. I followed the instructions there, which mirror the instruction listed earlier in this thread. So I type:

rpm -ihv -nodeps /mnt/home/mfc440cnlpr-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm

I hit enter and get "-nodeps: uknown option". So I can't go any farther than that. What am I doing wrong?

jtolli, Feb 2, 2009
  14. pwmd

Aspiration

:evil: What I'd like to know... and no one has yet explained... is how to get to the downloads folder to get to the damned file. How can I install the mfc210c driver if I can't get that done,first? There is nothing anywhere to say how this is done.
    Copying the directions from brother or wherever does nothing to help people install the drivers. I still have not had any help on how to get to the damned downloads folder when in the terminal window.

Any ideas? :roll:

Aspiration, Apr 12, 2009
Ask a Question