Browser icon doesn't work-help please!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Jockthearab, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Jockthearab

Jockthearab

I was wondering if someone can help me to get the Browser icon to work! I've specifically joined this forum to try & find the answers through searching previous posts, but haven't found anything that works so far. I've managed to successfully download & install firefox 3 thinking that would solve the problem, but no luck, so hope someone can help me...

When I click the Browser icon, there is a little flashing circle that goes around then nothing happens.

However, I can access the internet by right clicking on the desktop & selecting Web browser.

I'm a total Linux newbie who's just trying to get my daughters new AA1 working as it should. Any help would be very much appreciated ;0

Jockthearab, Jan 31, 2009
  2. Jockthearab

woodland

Hi,

there are quite a "few" posts with regard to this problem.. if searching this forum didn't help you out i would be very surprised.

If you want some help you really need to give us lots more info and you will have to describe what you have tried so far and you have to include error messages related to your trials.

woodland, Jan 31, 2009
  3. Jockthearab

Jockthearab

Cheers for taking the time to reply, the weird thing was that there were no error messages! Basically clicking on the Browser icon resulted in nothing happening. The only way to get internet access was to right click on the desktop & then select Web Browser. I just wanted to make life a wee bit easier for my daughter by clicking on the icon & away she could've gone surfing to her hearts content.

As things currently stand I have been working through "get the linux desktop you always wanted in 10 easy steps" since posting earlier this evening. I've now got the background picture my daughter wanted...struggling to come to terms with point 9, adding favourite icons to the desktop, but I'm sure with the amount of info available/written on these forums, that I'll get there!

Thanks again

Jta

Jockthearab, Jan 31, 2009
  4. Jockthearab

woodland

That's the spirit Jock!
    Remember It's not rocket science..!

Hope you're starting to enjoy your AA1

woodland, Jan 31, 2009
  5. Jockthearab

libssd

Did you install FF3 from the Acer software updates site? If so, it should replace FF2. If not, go to http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/f ... nnect.html and install from there.

Since you seem to have the right-click show stuff change made, try this:

Settings > Settings Manager > Preferred Applications

Does it show Mozilla FireFox as the preferred web browser?

libssd, Feb 1, 2009
  6. Jockthearab

Jockthearab

I'm back again!

Last night I managed to get past point 9 on the "get the linux desktop you always wanted in 10 easy steps"! I now have the desktop background my daughter wanted AND managed to put some icons on for her. They are "My pictures" "My Music" "Messenger" & "Browser". Clicking the icons work as expected apart from "Browser" which brings up an explorer page then a smaller box containing the following:

"Opening Linpus-web.desktop which is a:desktop configuration file from : /home /user/dektop

What should firefox do with this file?

open with (has options window)
    save file
    do this automatically for files like this from now on "

By closing this box and clicking the little home icon it then takes her to her homepage.

I feel I'm so close, but am stuck at this point!

libssd, tried what you suggested & Firefox is the preferred application.

Woodland, maybe it's not rocket science, but from someone more used to XP & now Vista, it's been a challenge to say the least!

Any further hints/tips/ideas are very much appreciated ;)

JtA

Jockthearab, Feb 1, 2009
  7. Jockthearab

Jockthearab

Just thought I'd post a final update. I've deleted the non working browser icon from the desktop. I located the "Firefox web browser" through file manager then dragged & dropped it onto the desktop. The AA1 is now working like a dream. S'pose I'd better let my daughter have it back now :lol:

JtA

Jockthearab, Feb 1, 2009
  8. Jockthearab

libssd

Congralations. Maybe you should let your daughter do the config stuff ;)

Seriously, if you're in a stable state now, the next thing to do is to make a backup to USB, using the aa1backup utility from the Macles* site. An 8gb USB should be sufficient until you have more data. Just in case, you may also want to create a rescue USB from the optical disk that came with your AA1. I had to borrow a USB optical drive to do so, but everything fits on a 2gb flash drive. Peace of mind is priceless.

libssd, Feb 1, 2009
Ask a Question