Browser not loading

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Trigger, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Trigger

Trigger

I have the latest version of Firefox installed (3.6) but when I tried to use it today, it would not load at all. I've tried loading it by clicking on hyperlinks from an email but that doesn't work either. I then tried to reinstall the browser using instructions from elsewhere on this forum site but it tells me I have the latest version already so won't download it.

I don't know how to use the terminal window very well so can follow basic instructions to copy and paste code into it but if anyone tells me something complex, could they keep it simple for me. Saying that, at the moment, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Trigger, Jul 31, 2010
  2. Trigger

RockDoctor

First, a couple of questions: what distro are you using, and how did you install firefox?

To generate possibly helpful info:
    Open a terminal window
    Type "firefox" without the quotes and press the enter key
    Post any error messages you get to this thread

RockDoctor, Aug 16, 2010
  3. Trigger

kickie-dee

Hi, i have a similar problem although i havent tried to upgrade firefox or anything. My browser does not seem to be working although i am still connected to my wifi and my messenger chat still works. I just typed in firefox in terminal and the message that came up was

bash: firefox: command not found

And when i try and open the browser i sometimes get a box saying

Failed to execute default web browser.
    Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/firefox" (No such file or directory)

I am a complete novice when it comes to the technical stuff but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

kickie-dee, Aug 20, 2010
  4. Trigger

RockDoctor

Looks like firefox is not in its expected location. If (for any integer value of x) you downloaded the firefox-3.6.x.tar.bz2 file then uncompressed it, the firefox executable file is not located in /usr/bin. To find it, open a terminal window, then as root execute the command updatedb then execute the command locate firefox - if the firefox executable exists, this will give you its location. Then just execute the command <path-to-firefox>/firefox where <path-to-firefox> is the actual path to the firefox executable. If you're using Linpus and thought you installed an rpm file, then rpm -q firefox will tell you if the firefox rpm is indeed installed

RockDoctor, Aug 20, 2010
Ask a Question