Built-in microphone not working

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by pharris, Nov 7, 2008.

1. pharris

pharris

I can't get the built-in microphone to work on my new Acer Aspire One. The computer is running Windows XP Home SP3, and the external microphone works fine with Skype and with Microsoft Sound Recorder, but the built-in microphone (near the webcam) doesn't seem to be picking up anything. I expect the built-in mic to work whenever there is no external mic plugged in, but it doesn't. Are there any software settings that I need to do in order to activate the built-in mic? Thanks.

pharris, Nov 7, 2008
  2. pharris

nmesisca

Its been said loads of times... have you searched?

hint : other people have this issue, some (me) have solved it running the installation of the drivers taken from the Acer website. The Realtek ones never worked for me.

nmesisca, Nov 7, 2008
  3. pharris

pharris

Yes I did search

(Sigh!) Yes I did a search, and thank you for your answer. My question asked about the settings to active the built-in mic. Your answer is about replacing drivers, which presumes that the drivers are at fault. An experienced computer user, I always try and explor all the settings options before I reach for new software. Thanks again for your answer.

pharris, Nov 7, 2008
  4. pharris

keekho

Hi,

Can you please post the Driver's for this.?

thanks

keekho, Nov 8, 2008
  5. pharris

pharris

The Acer website has drivers at:

http://acer.com/support/download.htm

But the drivers did not help with my problem. It seems likely that in my case the built-in microphone is defective. Aspire documentation is not very complete though, and so I hold out hope of finding some setting, perhaps something associated with the webcam, that would fix my AA1's problem.

pharris, Nov 8, 2008
  6. pharris

andaconda

After eyes bleeding and days of frustration I ran across this:
    -----cut and paste-----
    Solution #1
    posted on Jan 04, 2009
    Not Rated (0)

antics120
    antics120

Rating: 100%, 1 votes
    This solution works for the Windows XP version. Go to msconfig.exe, then the Startup tab. UNCHECK rthdcpl and restart. Realtek driver doesn't load, but who cares...the microphone works now.
    Was this solution helpful? Show your Appreciation by rating it:
    Inappropriate Thanks for Trying Helpful FixYa!

-----end cut and paste-----

:p :p :p
    I installed Skype 3.8.0.118
    This worked for me!
    I'm sure it is an issue with the Realtek software...

andaconda, Jan 11, 2009
  7. pharris

rahaas

Just finished with Acer Tech Support and the end result is the conclusion that the Webcam software provided with the AA1 only records video NO AUDIO. Now we must find software which will record both and move out of the era of Silent Movies into the Talky Movie period.

rahaas, Jan 17, 2009
Ask a Question