Buyers remorse??? SSD aspire one

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by 4x15mph, Feb 7, 2009.

1. 4x15mph

4x15mph

I purchased an aspire one from Circuit city since they are going out of business. It was an impulse buy based on the discount/price.

I bought the Win xp version, SDD with 8gb and 8b expansion card (total of 16gb) and 1gb ram.

Does anyone have one of these that experiences decent performance? I find it slow based on my initial usage. I read a lot on this forum about it being slow ....

Can anyone tell me that they have had any luck with this configuration? Any advice on tweaks that are necessary? I am thinking that I got what I paid for... :-(

Thank you

4x15mph, Feb 7, 2009
  2. 4x15mph

TTgowings

If you're after true speediness install the AAO version of Linpus Lite, or another version of Linux that's out there.

TTgowings, Feb 7, 2009
  3. 4x15mph

stageman1

I have one of these and love it. I applied various suggestions from this forum to enhance speed and uninstalled the bloat-ware and now have a very responsive system. And the pure geekery of ssd can't be beat!

stageman1, Feb 7, 2009
  4. 4x15mph

4x15mph

stageman1, can you tell me specifically what you did to speed it up? What bloatware did you remove?

I find that even the internet is pretty slow

4x15mph, Feb 7, 2009
  5. 4x15mph

stageman1

I used the ssd_optimizer batch file (do a search to find the download). I removed the office demo, works, and the macaffe suite (I use Norton a/v). I installed firefox. Removed adobe acrobat and installed foxit to read pdfs.

I installed word and xl xp. Runs fine. I also got rid of the .net framework to save room on my ssd. I also try to install programs when I can to my "D" drive which is the sdhc card in the expansion slot. Also make sure that your ssd is formatted fat 32.

I almost forgot. Download and install all of the latest drivers from Acer. I also use PCPitstop.com to identify and stop unneeded processes from running.

stageman1, Feb 7, 2009
  6. 4x15mph

4x15mph

I was able to connect to my home network and share my backup/external 500gb harddrive.

This is good news since i will just plan on saving everything to the networked drive in my house instead of locally on the AAO. I now have access to tons of music, my picture library, my movie files, and all the space i need.

I still have buyers remorse because it would seem that the hdd version is definitely the way to go but I can't go back now.

4x15mph, Feb 7, 2009
Ask a Question