Buying an acer but which one Linux or Windows ?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by maroonedv, Nov 19, 2008.

1. maroonedv

maroonedv

Okay so im going to be buying a blue acer but dont know which version to get. I want this netbook to take to uni since its portable not like my macbook. But yeah I will be a Linux noob but would want to customize and manage my desktop. I dont want to be stuck with the boring linpus home. Is it hard to do that or would i have to install ubuntu ? Im not a fan of windows so i want to give linux a go since its more reliable and safe from viruses. Would appreciate some helpful advice.

maroonedv, Nov 19, 2008
  2. maroonedv

JimK

If you prefer a solid state drive despite its slow write and speed and lack of storage space and you need every penny you can save, then go with the Linux version. Otherwise go with the Windows version and install Linux on it (it's not hard to do). Here in the U.S., the Windows version is about $30 more and comes with a hard drive and 1GB or RAM, versus the 8GB SSD and 512 MB of RAM on the Linux model. I have a blue Linux One and I added 1 GB of memory (cost about $20), but I would probably have been better off buying the Windows one.

You might want to think twice about buying blue, unless fingerprints don't bother you.

JimK, Nov 19, 2008
  3. maroonedv

toymom

I bought a blue Acer aspire One with linpus linux Lite OS and 512 MB memory and 160 GB Hard drive. Keep in mind I had never seen Linux before or even heard of it. Changing the desktop to look like windows was easy there is a 10 step walkthrough in one of the forums here. Email and internet was easy to set up.BUT I am very lost with linux otherwise. I have no idea how to open an executable file or play the game I used to play on my other laptop?? It is seeming like a higher learning curve than I initially thought it would be. looking back the time I have wasted trying to learn how to do this would have been worth the extra money to buy the windows version. I wish there was a class I could take or someone to teach me over the phone the tips and tricks tot his OS.

toymom, Nov 19, 2008
  4. maroonedv

barrie

Hi only had my AAO a shot time dedicated Linux, have loaded all the software applications I needed, so am extremely impressed. I had never used Linux before this, so was on a learning curve, :shock: but with others help you soon find the solutions to your issues. :)

If you really do not want to give MS up or have a specific windows app you need to run, then you can run Windows Apps in Linux with Wine 1.0 it is a free Windows compatibility tool for Linux
    http://lifehacker.com/396590/run-window ... th-wine-10
    I have not used this as so can not validate its reliability but am sure others have. I keep the AAO with Linux for on the move and Windows desktop at home so no conflict.

barrie, Nov 19, 2008
  5. maroonedv

Chicago_Jake

I'd say if this is going to be your only computer, you should probably get the Windows version. But if you are keeping your MacBook in your apartment and just taking the Acer to class for notes and maybe messaging and internet research between classes, get the Linux version. It boots in 20 seconds, it won't get damaged banging around in your pack, and it will never annoy you with "Windows needs to install critical update" balloons.......Jake (just my two cents)

Chicago_Jake, Nov 19, 2008
  6. maroonedv

maroonedv

thanks for the responses i think i will get the linux one since its cheaper and safer i will mostly be using it to take notes and web surfing nothing to major. My main baby is my macbook but i hate taking it to school since its not so light but yeah ive been reading up on how to do things with linux.

maroonedv, Nov 21, 2008
  7. maroonedv

maroonedv

toymom can you tell me what guide or tutorial did you use to change the desktop ?

maroonedv, Nov 21, 2008
  8. maroonedv

info

I think JimK has given you good advice. As much as I respect Linux, I would strongly recommend you pick up the (white) AA1 with the 160 Gig hard drive and the 6 cell battery (probably from Amazon if you haven't already made up your mind). But, there is no one path. Good luck!

info, Nov 23, 2008
  9. maroonedv

Slapshot

I got mine from NewEgg and it was cheap! I got the 160 GB hard drive and 6 cell battery and about 10 minutes after turning it on, I wiped the hard drive and installed Ubuntu 8.10. I use Quicken 2006 to manage my finances and it works flawlessly with Wine. I would recommend the 160 GB Windows version, but enhancing it with an Ubuntu install, it is just a more stable platform than Windows and you don't have to worry about viruses, malware and spyware. Open Office is a great replacement for MS Office too, and it installs with Ubuntu. It will open any MS Office document, spreadsheet and powerpoint. Further, when you save documents in Open Office, they use the open standard format for files, which make them take up about half the space of a MS Office files!

just my $0.02

~John

Slapshot, Nov 25, 2008
  10. maroonedv

maroonedv

I just got my netbook today and i love it but windows not so much how do I install ubunutu ?

maroonedv, Nov 26, 2008
  11. maroonedv

toymom

It is in the "how to guides for linux", and it is called 10 easy steps to get the desktop you want" or something very similar. it is a very large post.

toymom, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question