Buying from Tesco (UK) - beware

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by rick_b, Sep 9, 2008.

1. rick_b

rick_b

Bought my AA1 from my local Tesco Direct a few days ago (big display near main entrance) and learnt a couple of lessons:

1. Don't expect any of the staff to know anything about them. Do your homework before you set foot in the store.

2. Check everything works and is in place. My unit came missing rubber foot and with a wifi light that didn't work. I returned the AA1 for a replacement only to discover they had no blue models left in stock (despite having four empty boxes on display) and could not find any at other stores that had it - including their online store! Not wanting to get a white model I got a card refund and ordered a new blue AA1 from Amazon.

So it's an actual case of buyer beware if you buy your computers from the same people that sell you your garden peas. ;-)

rick_b, Sep 9, 2008
  2. rick_b

rowantree

I think...

1. Obviously. Mind you, they don't know much about peas either.

2. Mine was fine, sealed within two boxes, completely clean, not bashed etc either, so I guess you were unlucky there.

Tesco/Comet/Currys are currently a lot cheaper than Amazon also.

Good luck with the replacement.

Cheers,
    Rowantree

rowantree, Sep 14, 2008
  3. rick_b

melhiore

I would never buy this type of hardware from Tesco :)

Besides their prices only sometimes are better. In case of AA1 they are more expensive then others... In PCWorld version with 120GB HDD and Linux is worth £229 (free delivery).

For comparison only: http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999033$429 ... tSort.y=10

melhiore, Sep 14, 2008
  4. rick_b

craggsy

Yea PC world version is 512 RAM, tesco version is 1gb ram, hence why it is £20 more.

craggsy, Sep 23, 2008
  5. rick_b

adriana

Please add them to the Retailer Hall of Shame thread that is in this section of the forum.

adriana, Sep 23, 2008
Ask a Question